Indigo Dyeing in Hungary?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Indigo Dyeing in Hungary?

My fiancee and I just bought tickets to Budapest for ten days in June. We both love to travel, but neither of us has ever been to Hungary (and we've both always wanted to go). I've heard that Hungary is famous for textiles, especially a kind of indigo fabric dyeing? Any advice or insight? Not just about the indigo dyeing, but, well, anything!

Thank you!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:49 PM

i was curious ..so i did a search for info on hungarian textile dyeing. wow!! have a friend who is most proud of his magyar heritage & has told us much about history & food, but nothing about the textiles. here's a link to the search page that i am still working through ..

https://www.ixquick.com/do/search?q=...ng&lui=english
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 AM

I found this last night! They do incredible work:
http://beadlust.blogspot.com/2016/12...studio-in.html
Old 01-31-2018, 09:21 AM

Wow....a lot of work but the results are absolutely awesome. These are true crafts people.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 AM

I used to live in Budapest. If you are there during a festival time, there is a good chance that one of the booths will be selling the kekfesto blue fabric that is very traditional Hungarian. The booth will have a "fat meter" packs of the fabric as well as yardage (except they will sell by meters, one meter being 39 inches). Surprisingly, the cost of those fat meter packs is about comparable to what we pay for fabric here in the US. North of Budapest, about a 45 minute to one hour train ride is a lovely village, Szentendre. In the "old village center" is a small shop that sells these fabrics, and that would be a lovely day trip for you. If you are interested, private message me and I will give you some details.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Fabric in Hungary

I bought blue fabric (didn’t even know it was a special thing). We just wandered into a variety store, they sold gloves, bras, ribbon and fabric, I don’t remember what I paid but it was very inexpensive.

I hope you get to spend time in Budapest, it is an amazing city.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 AM

We were only in Budapest for one day after our Danube River Tour, but the sights that stand out are the Chain Bridge, (also known as the lion bridge), which links Buda and Pest, The Shoes on the Danube Bank on the Pest (east) side, which is a memorial to people executed during the war. We were told that people were ordered to take off their shoes, line up on the wall and were shot so that their bodies fell into the river and floated away. Also, the Dohany Street Synagogue, the largest in Europe. On the north side of the synagogue is the Holocaust Tree of Life, a metal sculpture of a willow tree with names inscribed on the leaves of victims killed by the Nazis during the war. Lots of history here and a very walk-able city.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I too was completely unaware of this textile industry in Hungary. Beautiful! It is a wax resist method just like batik. Hope you can get some to bring home. Thanks for posting links.