Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilt >

Mystery Quilt

Mystery Quilt

Old 02-07-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Mystery Quilt

Good Morning, I am in charge of organizing our quilt guild' first mystery challenge. Can you give me some ideas, patterns, links or resources that I can go to. I have spent hours and hours trying to find the right one and so far have not had any success or happy with what I have found. I'd like it to be able to cover about 4-6 months, not too easy yet not too hard. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance! Janey
Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM

First let me say welcome to the Quilt Board!

My first thought would be to follow along with an existing mystery quilt. The other is Merry Mayhem's Mystery Quilts. I believe there is a licensing fee ($55) but there are lots of options. You can also check Craftsy and do a search for mystery quilts, some have a fee but a few are free. Good luck!

https://www.merrymayhem.com/index.html
Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM

For an "intermediate" 6-part quilt, Quilter's Newsletter had one in 2010 (issues 413 thru 418).
I also have one (I haven't done it yet, but have the set of individual published clues) from "OOQ Mystery Quilt Series", distributed by "Nicole's Art to Live With" --you could email her and inquire <[email protected]>.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM

The Quilt Bug Mystery Quilt the day of the Super Bowl said that it could be used for Guilds just required you give her credit go to her website and find it. I found out about the mystery here on the board.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:44 PM

I have done a few mystery quilts for my quilt group. The very first one I did was one I found online. I emailed the designer and got permission to use it for my group. It listed fabric types to be used. When it was all finished, the comments I received were mostly to the tune of: It's ok, but if I knew what it was going to look like, I would have chosen different fabrics. Bummer for me and all my work putting it together. Several years later, I was asked to do another. This time I did a scrappy mystery quilt, again found on line. I joined up and saved all the clues. Then the designer put it on Craftsy and I bought the pattern. I broke that down into segments that worked for my group. We did it as a clue every week instead of once a month. The last mystery I did, that I think was the most successful, was a scrap quilt mystery that I basically designed. I picked out 2 blocks that worked very well together and broke them down into cutting, piecing segments, etc. etc. etc. and again did a clue every week. My suggestion to you would be to do a scrappy quilt with the same fabric used for background. I personally don't like things that get to be too busy, so having the same background fabric makes the design jump and you get to use up a lot of scraps. My Carolina Home does some awesome "Scrap Dance" mystery quilts. That's where my first scrappy one came from. I've been asked to do another, but since we're in the process of moving, I think it will wait for next year. Good luck.