Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chicken Scratch Newbie >

Chicken Scratch Newbie

Chicken Scratch Newbie

Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 PM

Default Chicken Scratch Newbie

I went to our monthly guild meeting on Saturday and one of the ladies had pulled out a UFO to work on & I fell in love with the block. I took pictures of hers (red) and found 1/4”gingham today to start a block of my own (dk gray). A few questions to you knowledgeable quilters. Because this is hand embroidered how do you stop the “bunching”of fabric within stitches (loosening?), can I use size 10 crochet thread instead of floss, and finally (for now) does the block need to be backed with something to prevent overall “bunching/gathering”? Thank you!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591826[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails b33dd030-dc6e-4b48-adb2-2280fe1481dc.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 PM

It look beautiful. I've never heard of chicken scratch before - I can see how the red stars and white stars are created but what is the white circles and grid? When I hand embroider I use a hoop to help keep the fabric fairly taut so that I don't get bunching (just don't do your stitches too tight). If your fabric is particularly thin you could use a water solubler stabiliser - I don't but I know others who do. As for size 10 crochet thread - this is fine to use (you can stitch with anything as long as you have the right size needle so the thread doesn't drag through the fabric

edit: I can see the white circles are created by a woven stitch - how clever! I am off to investigate myself!

Last edited by RJLinkletter; 03-27-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Please let me know what you find out. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:59 PM

Yes, a backing fabric makes a big difference for really smooth, nice looking embroidery. I just use very thin muslin. Whatever you choose be sure it needles well (something without a tight weave). I take a favourite embroidery needle with me to the fabric store when buying more muslin and just run it a few times in and out of the fabric to be sure it needles well. Be sure to baste. I like Sharon Schamber's quilt basting method because it works well for both hoop and hoopless. For embroidery I baste closer than she does.

Using an embroidery hoop or going hoopless is personal preference - I decide project by project. But if you try hoopless and find you're still getting bunching, then a cheap hoop might make a big difference for you.

If you don't want to use a base fabric, then you must use an embroidery hoop. Be sure to get one that fits well in your hand. A small one that needs to be shifted to a new area more frequently is much better than one that is too big and will strain your hands.

Crochet thread vs floss is just personal preference on the 'look' they give. Just keep in mind that a thicker thread will need a needle with a larger eye, to prevent shredding.

It's tempting to pull stitches tight but resist it, that will create bunching/puckering. Even when using a hoop, if you pull too tight you'll get bunching when you take it out of the hoop. Keep an even tension.

Very pretty block, by the way!! Love it

Last edited by magicmoonmusings; 03-27-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:49 PM

I should add - cut your base fabric much larger than the block. You need enough overhang for the hoop to have something to grab on to when you shift it towards the edges of the block.

I said in my previous post you don't strictly need to use a base fabric for embroidery, but in this case because you're using blocks that are already at their full size, if you use a hoop then you'll need that base fabric with overhang otherwise you'll have trouble getting the block taut enough to work on the edges, which defeats the purpose of the hoop. If you go hoopless then you don't strictly need base fabric, but your work will look MUCH better with it, even if your stitching is very even.

Anyway, sorry for the huge posts lol. I just figured I'd give you all the tips I've learned along the way, maybe something will help you.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:39 AM

Can not believe that as old as I am that I have never even heard of Chicken Scratch embroidery. I love it! So naturally, I did a google search and wow lots of info on what it is, how to do it, how to use it, etc. Just goes to show, check the forum every single day, you never know what you will learn! Thank you Neuras for sharing.
Here is the google link. I think the link to Needle and Thread by Mary Corbet has some good details on thread, gingham, needles, etc.
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.abayOb7Rulo
Old 03-28-2018, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

Embroidery floss is used because thicker thread will leave larger holes in the gingham. Gingham isn't usually very sturdy fabric but an embroidery hoop will help to keep the thread from pulling the fabric. You can also separate the embroidery floss and work it with fewer strands. Chicken Scratch was used a lot to decorate gingham aprons.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:21 AM

I remember doing an apron in junior high school with the chicken scratch. I haven't seen it in years. I'll have to look it up and see if there are any patters that pique my interest. Just what I need. More projects. But I remember enjoying it. Thanks for showing.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:53 AM

I did chicken scratch before I knew enough to use a stabilizer behind the stitching. Makes me want to do more!
Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 AM

My mother made me a bedspread when I was in HS like that with a cross stitch design. I loved it and passed it on to my sister when I went away to college. I wish I still had it...that was in the late 50's! I never saw that Chicken Scratch. I will check that out. It is really pretty. Mother used a hoop and regular embroidery floss. I think she used 2 strands. Of the thread.