Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Applique question >

Fusible Applique question

Fusible Applique question

Old 04-03-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Fusible Applique question

I put together a quilt using fusible applique for my first time. I plan to have it machine quilted with a close pattern. Does anyone have any experience with this and know if the machine quilting with secure the applique pattern edge or should I satin stitch around the edge to make sure it doesn't fray? I did a blanket stitch but it's probably 1/16" - 1/8" away from the edge.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:35 PM

I'm understanding that you are sending to long arm quilter? Be sure to let them know that you used fusible so they slow down--some fusibles create a bit of drag while quilting. Are you planning to have the quilters closely quilt on the applique? If so you will probably want to do a seam around the edge (maybe with invisible thread). If you are talking about close quilting around the applique, just ask the quilter to stay off the raw edge (he/she probably would anyway) as your fusible and blanket stitch should do the job.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:02 AM

I've done a number of McKenna Ryan patterns. Her technique is to fuse the pieces down and then stitch close to the edge with either matching thread or invisible. Its up to you. My choice is the invisible.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PMahowald View Post
I've done a number of McKenna Ryan patterns. Her technique is to fuse the pieces down and then stitch close to the edge with either matching thread or invisible. Its up to you. My choice is the invisible.
May I ask you what brand invisible you use please? The only invisible I have seen is in my nightmares when attempting to use. Unfortunately, don't recall the brand. I called it Satan's brand.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:24 AM

I know there are currently several brands of invisible thread available now and I have used some successfully. However, I would like to say that I like Superior's Bottom Line polyester thread for this purpose. It just behaves beautifully in this application.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board. Not all fusibles are created equal. Some hold much better than others. Additionally some hardly hold at all if you didn't prewash your fabrics. For example, Misty Fuse does not play nicely with factory sizing so won't stay down permanently unless you stitch it down if you did not prewash your fabrics to remove the factory sizing.

Another factor to take into consideration; is your project a functional quilt, meant to be used as bedding or napping under and wrapping up in or is your project a wall hanging that won't get a lot of wear and tear and washing? Another question I have is when you wrote: "I plan to have it machine quilted with a close pattern.", does this mean you plan on having an all over pattern, also known as an edge to edge (E2E) done rather than custom quilting?

I would recommend that if this is a functional quilt to be quilted with an E2E, you secure your raw edges. The blanket stitch you mention doing may not keep your fabric from fraying. It is hard to say because there are so many variables involved.

I have quilted a few raw edge applique done with fusible where the maker did not secure the edges. These jobs were custom and they were wall hangings. I made sure to quilt just inside the edge of all the applique to ensure it would stay put. It was already coming up as I was working on it. I strongly suspect if the pieces were ever washed there would be some fraying.

A good rule of thumb with fusible applique is: Satin stitch will secure the edges and stop all fraying, next best is a small zig zag stitch, last is blanket stitch where some fraying is possible but not definite and finally a straight stitch just inside the applique will secure it but will not keep from fraying.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 AM

Sulky Premium, Fine .004 Soft . Do a practice piece and experiment with the tension, stitch length and needle size. Its been a couple of years but I had to play around to get to the point that the stitching was smooth, even and thread not break.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I know there are currently several brands of invisible thread available now and I have used some successfully. However, I would like to say that I like Superior's Bottom Line polyester thread for this purpose. It just behaves beautifully in this application.
You should try Invisifil or Superior's Micro quilter. Bottom line will look like course yarn in comparison to these two products. Both are 100wt 2 ply threads compared to bottom line which is a 60wt 2 ply. Compared side by side there is a major difference and the 100 wts sink down into the fabric and become practically invisible. Silk is also a great alternative for nearly invisible top stitching but much more expensive than Invisifil or micro quilter.

If one hates monofiliment invisible thread, these are a great alternative. For rvsfan there are some awesome invisible threads out there now. Superior Monopoly, Filtec Essence and YLI invisible are all great products that are super fine. I use both Monopoly (Polyester) and Essence (which is a nylon) for ditch work on my Longarm quite often. I do always use a thread net with these products. I have used the YLI product in my domestic with great success as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Is it true that nylon invisible thread canNot be ironed? I heard it somewhere so have used polyester!