Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology >

Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology

Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology

Old 04-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Comparisons - June Taylor short cut ruler vs stripology

Is the June Taylor short cut ruler anything like the stripology ruler? Thank you for your discussion on this. Ruth
Old 04-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

The June Taylor mats are all made out of a softer plastic; the Stripology ruler is a harder plastic. Many people prefer the Stripology, but I prefer the softer mats.

As far as I know, Stripology makes only a larger mat. I have both this one and the largest June Taylor mat (Shape Cut Pro). They are somewhat different dimensions. I prefer the June Taylor Shape Cut Pro. I have several of the smaller June Taylor mats as well and like them all.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Yes the June tailor is very similar to shape cut but the stripology is sturdier and doesn't slip like the June tailor. Don't know why I waited so many years to purchase. I guess the June tailor worked and hadn't tried the stripology.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The June Taylor mats are all made out of a softer plastic; the Stripology ruler is a harder plastic. Many people prefer the Stripology, but I prefer the softer mats.

As far as I know, Stripology makes only a larger mat. I have both this one and the largest June Taylor mat (Shape Cut Pro). They are somewhat different dimensions. I prefer the June Taylor Shape Cut Pro. I have several of the smaller June Taylor mats as well and like them all.
Stripology is made by creative grids as far as I know they don't make mats just rulers
Old 04-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I have both. I usually reach for the June Tailor. Nothing wrong with the Stripology. Maybe I like the smaller size?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM

I have both, and rarely use the JT one. It is a bit taller but shorter, so I'll grab it if I've got some longer cuts to make. I like to stack up what I'm cutting and find the stripology stays put better. Paired with the Martinelli cutter, I can cut multiple layers even when there are seams. though I will stack so the seams nest a bit so it lays flatter. That cutter has more exposed blade so it does not end up riding on the plastic instead of cutting. I can't use the Olfa cutter on more than one or two layers, the Fiscars is in between. This pic shows the amount of exposed blade between the Olfa (yellow) and Fiscars cutter.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:16 PM

There are two Stripology rulers. One is rectangular, one is square. After using the Stripology a few times, I gave my JT one away. I hadn't used it much, but was frustrated as when I used it, the acrylic wasn't sturdy enough and wobbled - giving me crooked cuts.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:13 AM

I have the June Taylor and use it all the time. The plastic is a bit wobbly and it does nick easily, but it was pretty cheap. When I bought it, I didn't know that I would use it as much as I have, so I didn't want to spend much. That being said, when it is time to replace it, I will probably get the stripology. Stripology also has more markings for different size cuts.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
I have the June Taylor and use it all the time. The plastic is a bit wobbly and it does nick easily, but it was pretty cheap. When I bought it, I didn't know that I would use it as much as I have, so I didn't want to spend much. That being said, when it is time to replace it, I will probably get the stripology. Stripology also has more markings for different size cuts.
I agree. It's a bit wobbly because it's thin. That also makes it easy to run your cutter out of the groove, which dulls your blade. I'll probably not replace it until it breaks, though.

bkay
Old 04-08-2018, 06:35 PM

I've used the JT for years and recently bought the stripology. The stripology is sturdier and has the little grips on the underside so it has a better hold. The only thing I don't like about the stripology is it's a tiny bit shorter than the JT so I always have to make sure my folded fabric fits within the height. Other than that the stripology is great - but pricey. That said, you can't go wrong with the JT either.