Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Project Linus >

Quilts for Project Linus

Quilts for Project Linus

Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 AM

Default Quilts for Project Linus

I've decide to make about a dozen baby quilts for Project Linus to be donated. Of course I wanted to use nice panels and add borders and pieced blocks to them and then hopefully backing from my stash. An additional plus is that they are small projects to practice FMQ on. When searching on line for panels, so many listed were 20 to 30 years old....a heck of a lot of Teddy Bears!! Searched Missouri Star, Thousands of Bolts, Marshal Dry Goods, E-Bay and Etsy plus a few more. Managed to find a few panels for little boys with space ships, hero's (firemen and policemen), some under water scene's and a Mermaid panel for girls. The really adorable one's were from England and Australia, but were so expensive and would take over a month to get through the mail.....didn't order those.
So where do you buy your panels at that are reasonably priced? Or do you make pieced tops for baby gift donations?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 AM

There are lots of adorable prints that can be used as panels. Some so cute they are hard to cut up so this is what I use. This also allows you to make the quilt a size that works for you for adding borders, etc.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:45 AM

Local quilt shop has a lot. Quilting etc in Yorkville, Illinois. I think you can reach her at Quiltingetc.com. I know she sells on line. I am just a customer there but if you go there tell her Sharon sent you. I want her to succeed. Before she opened it was impossible to find a spool of thread in this town!��
Old 04-14-2018, 03:48 AM

I've bought panels from eQuilter. Not sure if there are many for children. Worth a look-see. Just type 'panels' in the
search bar.
https://www.equilter.com/
Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 AM

Try quiltgirls.com. They carry a lot of panels
Old 04-14-2018, 04:18 AM

Panels are common at garage and estate sales. People think they are cute when they see them originally and then never get around to sewing them.

Ebay is another good source -- sometimes sold in lots.

I agree that they are perfect for Project Linus quilts, and we see a lot of them come in at our chapter.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Fabric.com, BearPaw quilt company, fabric depot, fat quarter shop, Hancock’s
pare ones I’ve purchased panels from, and of course my local quilt shop who always has the newest kids collection
Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 AM

I've found Elizabeth's Studio does some good panels. They are sold lots of places. It's kind of hard to look at them on the site, as there is no way to isolate panels from the rest of the fabric line. You can google Elizabethsstudio panels and get some hits on several sites that carry them. There are pages and pages of panels on Amazon.com and also on fabric.com.

Don't overlook using the fabric books as a basis for a child's quilt. They make darling quilts. You just have to sash the pages.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-14-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: grammer was terrible
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Here you go. Lots of panels for children. Excellent prices -$5 shipping. I haven't ordered from here yet, so I can't speak to the quality, but if the 'regular' price is valid, then it should be decent fabric.
https://www.quiltedtwins.com/panels
Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Another suggestion - I Spy quilts. There are some great designs and child friendly quilts based on the travel game, "I spy with my little eye a______". Trading the charms is interesting. There are several venues for trading the charms, including one on the quilting board. We just completed a swap a couple of weeks ago. RBWiese hosts the swaps.

I contributed 8 sets of ten different fabric charms and received back 80 (mostly) different fabric charms. I've participated in swaps of ABC fabrics, which you not only play "I spy", but you also play "find the charm that starts with Y". On the yahoo group, we just did a swap where you sent in matching sets. On that one, you have two charms that picture a particular object. An example is penguins on icebergs and penguins singing. The child has to find the matching ones. Some were the same image in two colors.

Just google I spy quilts, and you will get some great samples.

bkay