Gardening

Old 04-26-2018, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Default Gardening

My Mom was a gardener -

are you?

And if so - what type(s) of plants do you enjoy working with?

My DH will plant vegetables and mow the grass - and that's about the extent of it for us.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I love annuals and perennials. I have 8 Lavender plants that bloom in every area of my yard. They are so easy! Each year I get tons of Lavender to harvest and I use it for lots of things.
I have mostly perennials but fill in each year with some annuals. I love dahlias, zinnias, lantana, cosmos, oh the list is endless. I want to grow some Lisianthus this year. They are beautiful, sort of like roses.
My husband does most veggies but also loves flowers. He bought several hibiscus that do well here.
You made me excited just thinking about it!!!
Old 04-26-2018, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Most of my plants are perennials with roses, lavender daffodil and tulip bulbs, lilac, ground covers like vinca, snow on the mountain, shade plants like hostas and ferns.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:27 AM

Love flowers!! Have hostas up and growing. And the creeping phlox is beautiful this year! Hope to go get bedding plants this weekend as it seems spring has finally arrived. I plant begonias, impatiens, wave petunias and geraniums. Have a strawberry bed and will set out tomatoes in May.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:06 AM

We love having a veggie garden, but also have lots of flowering plants. In our yard we have few roses, bearded iris, hostas, ferns, ginger lillies, daffodils, lavender, gardenia (which always looks terrible this time of year as we are just at the edge of it’s hardiness zone), dogwood and crepe myrtles along with maple, cedar, elm, rose of sharon and hollies. Probably have more things I’ve forgotten to add. Oh! I forgot to add our teeny tiny pond- itks small enough that I can reach across it, but we have water hawthorn, waterlilies which never bloom due to not enough sun, a selection of bog plants and lots of water iris.

How could I have forgoten the forsythia and the winter flowering honey suckle shrubs???? And the Daphne......ok Ikm done now

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 04-26-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Forgot the forsythia,forgot the ferns, forgot the rose of sharon
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM

rob --too funny! i am a vegie gardener first & flowers are fun, when i can drag myself away from the vegies long enough to weed water smell admire if i couldn't get out to play in the dirt ..would life be worth living? i wonder
my significant other is an engineer & not a dirt person lol ..so i am the pruner, irrigator, water system manager, pipe fixer, etcetcetc ..and that's ok with me! fewer hands to work, longer the work takes means longer i get to stay out & play!
sigh! but winter came be soooooooo long! oh well!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:52 AM

I just planted two new rose bushes this morning. Hope to get a lot more done soon as I have a big order from Park seeds on the way.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:57 AM

I love growing most plants. Right now, I am getting into miniature roses. This is my second year for them. I used to grow African Violets, but they took up too much time.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM

I live on a corner 1.5 acres, about 5 miles for the city. My DH was a gardener for many years but his passion are veggies and fruit trees. We have Apricot, Nectarines, several different Peaches, 2 different Cherries, 2 different Figs, 2 different oranges, 2 different grapefruits, key lime, Lemon,Tangelo, Mandarins, 2 different pomegranates, plum, grape plant. He plants about 1/2 acre of veggies a year, 5 different tomatoes and about 6 different pepper from sweet to super hot. 3 different squash/pumpkin and watermelon. He puts out a self-service stand each summer.

I am not envolved in his plantings except for picking and eating the produce. The flower beds are my domain!
Since I am retired, I spend most of my morning outside, planting, weeding, pruning, transplanting. I save seed from some of my annuals but mostly I will buy about 4 flats of annuals in the spring and another in the fall. I also have many potted plants around the deck of the swimming pool. Right now the Amaryriles and the Iris are abundant and beautiful.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I am not an outdoors person. When I was younger and a stay at home Mom I planted and grew lots of things. Canned and froze tomatoes and some veggies. With just two of us I just buy them.

I don't like to get dirty and would rather make quilts.