Gardening

Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I am not an outdoors person. When I was younger and a stay at home Mom I planted and grew lots of things. Canned and froze tomatoes and some veggies. With just two of us I just buy them.

I don't like to get dirty and would rather make quilts.
This sounds like I could have written it! Also if we have just a meat and some potatoes meal, my DH is very satisfied. He grew up with lots of his meals just consisting of a slice of bread in some milk and sugar, because that was all they had. Now he says he wants to buy our groceries, because there are only the 2 of us.

I'm so jealous of all of you outdoorsy people! I'm not an outdoor person either.....My migraines start up the minute I get hot! I'm on 2 different meds to control them, and it helps a lot, but being outside in the sun for any length of time makes me have to go to bed with that (@#$%) migraine! Also, wind in my face makes my sinuses act up. So please don't mind if I enjoy the outdoors thru all of you (in my mind, I'm seeing your yards and gardens, and they are beautiful).

Hope this wasn't too long........
Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 AM

I live in the suburbs, in an older neighbourhood, on a corner lot. Nice huge front yard. It's 100x40 feet. And there is no grass! 1/3 is herbs, 1/3 is veggies and 1/3 is flowers - perennials mainly. I also have a large pond in my backyard and more flowers. Unfortunately, I live in Ottawa, so I only get to enjoy all of it for about 5-6 months!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 AM

Roses & hibiscus are my passion. I used to have 53 rose bushes. One is well over 100 years old now. It was my Great Grandmother's climbing rose. Health issues to over & I had to let all but 3 climbers go. I had many bulb type flowers over the years. I planted over 50 Asian Lilies, but the darn wild rabbits ate them all. I planted lily-of-the-valley many years ago. Pink & white. They are still coming up. I currently have a large wild honeysuckle bush, the Lily-of-the Valley & I just planted 15 hybrid tea rose bushes. Soon I'll plant 4 hibiscus trees & 4 bushes. Health issues prevent me from doing more. My husband plants a small veggie garden. I love to dig in the dirt . Bare hands, bare feet....bring it on .
Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 AM

I stick to perennials. I am not really fond of gardening but I plant herbs in pots and love those. I spend a few hours a day outside weeding and walking. I love the sunshiny days!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:31 AM

I love to work in the yard whether its my flower beds, raised beds or garden. Just had a brick retaining wall put around my main garden last summer as well around my rear flower beds. Came out pretty nice too. This year my goal is to prune my flower beds as they're getting a bit crowded. My sister just moved to a new house so I'm hoping I can split some of my flowers and give them to her. I know one couple in town wants some of my splittings too. Thinning out every so often is supposed to be good for the plants. I also love to mow, edge and weed whack since getting my new battery operated weedwhacker. It does a great job and its light weight. Its a B&D brand.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Yesterday after work I picked my first mostly red tomato of the year. I have a somewhat small garden area and this year I planted flowers across the back, then some perennials, and towards the front green beans, spinach, zucchini and tomatoes. I have some other various flowers plants from previous years that survived with my herbs.
Love living in Austin, Texas, though July, Aug, and Sept can be difficult for plants.

Enjoy your summer. Karen
Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Though my hubby does most of the yard work, I do enjoy it too. We have hostas, bleeding hearts, columbine, mini iris, rhodys, tulips, daffodils, clematis, butterfly bush, day lilies, hyacinth. Want to put in some lavender, roses (minis too), carnation family plants. Got two pretty pots for each door area that need some pretties too.
For garden stuff: rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, chives, garlic chives, heirloom tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, carrots, green beans, lemon cukes, beets, squash, and maybe a few more additions soon.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Anything that chooses to live for me!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:25 AM

I have had a vegetable garden for years, but this year I am putting it mostly in flowers. Cornflowers and foxglove and balsam have naturalized around the fences, so planting zinnias and marigolds and snaps and salvia, maybe some dahlias.
I will still plant a few tomatoes and peppers (already have the plants growing under lights. Today is their first visit outside) but I am not going to do much else in vegetables.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:27 PM

I plant a huge vegetable garden each summer...about 14 of us live on an island off the coast of Maine and it is much easier to harvest from the garden than to travel by boat to the grocery store. I dabble with flowers but the vegetable garden takes up most of my outdoor time.