Singer 328k value

Old 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Default Singer 328k value

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me put a value on a sewing machine and hideaway table that I purchased. It's a singer style-o-matic 328k. It is in good working condition and has all of the original accessories, in the original box, as well as a professional buttonholer in the original box and manuals in mint condition. I am a journeyman Carpenter and have recently repaired and refinished the hideaway table. If anyone can give me an estimate of what they think the value is, I would greatly appreciate it. Multiple opinions are welcome.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:59 AM

Pictures, esp. of the table and machine would help. Value also often depends on what area of the country you are in.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Pictures, esp. of the table and machine would help. Value also often depends on what area of the country you are in.
I don't know how to post pictures. Could someone help me out with that. 😶
Old 05-10-2018, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Check eBay for the machine - there are several on there. No tables though but I didn't look very far.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even in the best condition, it's not a real valuable machine (at least around here). It's a lovely machine, all metal and will last a lifetime for most any sewing needs. It's a little noisy, but other than that it's a good quality machine.

Unfortunately, t's not one that die-hard collectors are looking for. It's not old enough to attract the segment that love the really old ones. It's not unusual enough to attract those who want something odd or rare. The engineering and production is not fine enough for those who marvel at and collect innovative designs. It's not a "hot" model that everyone is looking for like the Featherweight.

Based on what happens here (North Texas), if you are willing to work it, you might get in the range of $100 to $150. for it. You would have to take great photos, write a good description, regularly re-post it on the sell sites (craigslist, offerup, etc.) so that it shows up toward the top and be willing to wait for the right buyer. I would ask $200. and hope to get $100.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. (It won't be the first time.) Maybe you'll find someone who's mom had a machine just like that and wants it for that reason.

bkay
Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing

is a whole thread on how to re-size pics for posting. Welcome to the madness.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 AM

I have bought 3 of that model, but none in cabinet or table. I never paid more than $20 for any of them. Two of them were cleaned and lubed, then passed on to a young, learning, 4-H sewer. I try to make sure each sewing machine I pass on has a manual and sometimes a buttonholer, but not always, just make sure it is operational. My opinion is that the refinished table will be the selling point.
As has been mentioned, the area you live in will have a lot to do with value. I have never seen a hand-crank in my area, but have picked up a few featherweights, and I have all the earlier slant shank machines.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

They're not the best Singers out there, in fact according to one well known old Singer guy the 327/328s were used as bait and switch machines. Value is subjective. In the simplest terms, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it but in this case it probably won't be much.

Cari
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
They're not the best Singers out there, in fact according to one well known old Singer guy the 327/328s were used as bait and switch machines. Value is subjective. In the simplest terms, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it but in this case it probably won't be much.

Cari
Oh, I am sad to hear this, (insert sad face) because back in the way back days, around 1964 maybe, I went to the Singer Store downtown and bought myself a lovely 327. I toted that thing with me through many moves around the country, in the car, with babies and pets, because to me it was valuable, and had it serviced every year, yes indeed. then I started reading on here and realized I could do it myself. It is still in pristine condition and works perfectly when I use it for old times sake. I know it has no monetary value but it is a good machine and sews through anything. I made my first quilt on it. flannel, what was I thinking. Now I have about 15 machines.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I still have my 328K, straight shank with fashion discs. I got it about 1962. I sewed many years on it. It is all metal. I love it but, I only use two straight stitch only machines. If I need it I can always get it out. I have everything that came with it. I don't care if it is worth anything or not. I'm not planning to sell it.