Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking - rumor or? >

Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

Old 08-28-2019, 12:32 PM

I've complained about my experience with my H.V. here before. Mine lasted less than 3 years and couldn't be repaired. Something happened to the feed dogs and all the repair guys said it was not worth bothering with it. I don't remember the model, but it was one of the fancy computerized ones.... expensive, too!

I went back to a Singer from Walmart and it's been perfect for me for several years! No problems at all.

All that gitters is not necessarily gold!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:02 PM

I'm all over the map on this issue. I have both vintage and modern machines. Back when machines were made to last 100 years, most households had to buy them on time, and had one per household. Now with plastics and foreign labor, machines aren't made as well, but we can afford to have many of them. I have a longarm, a sitdown, embroidery machines, piecing machines, class machine......so do most of us...so is tossing them every 20 years worth it or not? For me it is.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM

I read all the coments here about there Viking Machine but did not see anyone mention the #1* which was a embroidery and sewing machine, I have one of these and it stopped working a few years ago and even back then i couldn't find anyone that would work on it. Most said to junk it and get a different machine.. I did but it is just a sewing machine, no enbroidery I bought a Brother and really love it when it's working..I saved my old Viking #1* in hopes I could find someone to fix it.. as I really loved that machine and have lots of embroidery patterns for it... I guess it's a throw away world for sure.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I read all the coments here about there Viking Machine but did not see anyone mention the #1* which was a embroidery and sewing machine, I have one of these and it stopped working a few years ago and even back then i couldn't find anyone that would work on it. Most said to junk it and get a different machine.. I did but it is just a sewing machine, no enbroidery I bought a Brother and really love it when it's working..I saved my old Viking #1* in hopes I could find someone to fix it.. as I really loved that machine and have lots of embroidery patterns for it... I guess it's a throw away world for sure.
You can put the designs on a usb stick and upload them into your computer, then you can change your format on them to .pes so they'll work on your brother machine. There are many free programs that will do that for you.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:58 PM

Question Husqvarna Viking 1+ Cassette

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement for Cassette A that does all of the basic stitches. I haven't been able to find anyplace that carries them. I've been out of circulation for awhile and didn't realize the company isn't what it used to be. I did read that you can still use them when cracked but had thrown it away in the meantime.
Woe is Me!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:30 PM

will be your best option....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-23-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-09-2020, 10:29 PM

I have not heard one way or another, but will keep my ears open as I have one.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:47 AM

Default Capacitor Replacement and Repair

Originally Posted by romanojg;[url=tel:8082678
8082678[/url]]I'm sorry for the loss of your machine. Mine is down right now. I went to move it temporarily the other day, powered it off, unplugged it and moved it to the next room, plugged it in and now only part of it wants to come back on. The screen doesn't come on at all, the lights where the up/down, etc buttons are and up where the thread goes and the bottom where the stylus goes just flash. I tried changing it to a different outlet and still the same thing. The closest dealer is about 120 miles away now.
I created a capacitor replacement and repair guide a while back for the now retired Designer SE yahoo group. I’ve fixed numerous designers with this exact problem. Fairly cheap too if you don’t mind taking the risk of opening your machine.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:05 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by thatdudeclay View Post
I created a capacitor replacement and repair guide a while back for the now retired Designer SE yahoo group. I’ve fixed numerous designers with this exact problem. Fairly cheap too if you don’t mind taking the risk of opening your machine.
Forgot to post guide. Biggest pointers are to mark the ribbons and plugs with a marker so that you remember what goes where. On the back of the motherboard there is a plug that really needs to go back in the way you found it or else it will "reverse" the foot instead of advance (so there is a right way and wrong way on this one for sure). Probably a good idea to find someone who is handy with a soldering iron. I am not but was able to repair a bunch of these anyway.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...uWDcwUVhA/edit
Old 05-30-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I don't know about any rumors, but I do know that in 2006, SVP was formed by a merger with Husqvarna Viking and Pfaff. They merged with Kohlberg, who purchased Singer in 2004. Kohlberg & Company is a private equity firm who buys out large companies. Many consumers are oblivious to the fact that the sewing machine brand name that they think is synonymous with quality, is now owned by a holding company that knows nothing about sewing machines, but has purchased the brand, and outsourced the manufacture of the machines to places like China and Vietnam for the sake of cheap labor and to turn a hefty profit by selling the name brand to the unsuspecting consumer. That is one of the reasons that you have to wait so long to get your machine repaired when it needs parts--because unless it is in stock, the part has to be put on a ship from Asia. It takes time to be delivered to your country. There is no connection between the people making your machine, and the high quality engineering and standards of your Grandmother's vintage machine. Some of the last true Swedish Engineered Husqvarna Viking sewing machines were produced about 20 years ago. They were the designer series machines, like the Quilt Designer, and Designer I & II. I am happy to say that I have the Quilt Designer.
Yes, this is true. In the few years before SVP was formed there were several takeovers, mergers ., etc. When the Pfaff German factory was closed the Pfaff parts, accessories were thrown away, I read reports fro some who worked there. It is very difficult to find spare parts for the German made Pfaffs.