Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Really basic cross stitch question. >

Really basic cross stitch question.

Really basic cross stitch question.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Really basic cross stitch question.

I'm getting ready to start my first cross stitch project but there's one thing I don't understand and it's so basic that books and blogs don't mention it. I understand that you put a strand through the needle and double it over. But when the instructions say "Use two strands," does that mean to put one strand through the needle and double it, thus the "two strands" go through the fabric? Or do you actually use two strands through the needle, ending up with four strands going through the fabric?

I assume it's the first example and I'm just over-thinking the second example, but it worries me.

Tate
Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

Actually, I’ve always thought it meant putting two strands through the eye of the needle. Never thought of doing it the other way. Will be interested in what others do.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM

I was taught to put two strands (of the six) through the eye of the needle. My daughter uses three strands and I like it a lot better.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 AM

This short video might help you -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sbriH8KUQ
Old 06-20-2018, 03:00 AM

Those instructions mean that you put 2 (of the 6) strands through the eye of the needle and stitch with those. The 'count' of the Aida cloth determines the number of strands you work with, generally, unless you want to use more/less strands for a different effect in some parts of your cross stitch piece.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 AM

Back in the day when I was doing needlepoint and cross stitch -- my eyes are too tired now to see all those pesky little canvas holes! -- I tried doubling a thread. It was a big mess. Needlepoint wool and cotton floss actually have a directional nap to them. Slide your fingers along the thread, and one way will feel smoother than the other. When you double a thread, it makes the nap work against itself and may cause knotting problems. It's much better to use two strand through the eye of the needle. The threads will nest together better.

If you have trouble threading your needle try cutting a sliver of waxed paper, folding it in half with the ends of the thread inside, then slip it through the needle's eye. It takes a little practice, but it's well worth the effort. The back of peel land stick labels makes a good needle threader for wool and floss.

Be very careful with cross stitch and needlepoint projects, though. They are even more habit-forming than quilting! Ha! Ha!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 AM

Sorry about the grammar and misspellings. My fingers just don't want to work this morning.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 AM

Use 2 strands through the needle. You will only knot one end of those two strands, you will have the other end "loose" and your needle can slip off. When making a stitch pull the thread through to the knotted end, two strands are your stitch. This is hard explain!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:36 AM

Another method:
*Use 1 strand, fold in half and put the fold through the eye of the needle. Pull thread down so loop is the longer side. *Begin cross stitch - pull needle up from bottom then down to make first half of the “x”.
*Run needle through the loop and pull snug.
*This is first stitch ONLY, not every stitch. The result is no knot on backside so it’s neater.
*When my thread is used, I run the needle under a few stitches on the backside then cut.
*No knots ever.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 AM

I think you are thinking of sewing with a knotted doubled length of thread. In cross stitch you don't double the strand at all and you don't knot it at all. You put two strands through the needle, pull it through the fabric at your starting point then take a very tiny stitch to anchor the strands. It can be picky to learn this but will result in flatter work. (You could have a knot but that will create a lump which will be visible if you mount the piece on a back board later.
Maybe you can google cross stitch or embroidery and find an explanation(maybe with pictures) of how to begin your stitching.
Good luck. Cross stitch and embroidery are very enjoyable.