Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQuilter information >

EQuilter information

EQuilter information

Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 AM

Default EQuilter information

I edit our guild newsletter and some of our members what to know about EQuilter. If you use it, what are your experiences? easy to use? worth the money? how fast to learn it? Benefits over using other design methods, eg., on-line software, etc.

Looking for personal experience rather than commercial sales pitch. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm confused. Do you mean Electric Quilt? I know about eQuilter the web site, but I'm not aware of any eQuilter software.

If you do mean Electric Quilt, then I highly recommend it. I now have EQ8. I use it all the time, so for me it is well worth the money. Some people have trouble learning it, and the user interface is not as intuitive as it could be, but there are lots of lessons and help pages built into the software, as well as videos, books, and classes on how to use it. I haven't tried other options, except for Quilt Pro (also by Electric Quilt), which was too simplistic for my needs.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

like dunster, i find my EQ invaluable. i use it constantly
Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM

I have EQ7, and if it were not for the help I have received on this board, I would not be able to use it. I have been quilting for near 50 years and find I am just as fast using graph paper to design and figure fabric amounts to make a quilt. However; I do enjoy playing around with EQ7 if I have a few days to play.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

If it's Electric Quilt software you mean, I can say that I have found EQ7 to have a steep learning curve. Some people take to it like a duck to water. Me, not so much. As far as I can tell from previous threads on this topic, creative and artistic people seem to find it intuitive. Programmer types, such as myself, do not find it intuitive at all. In my opinion, a downside to EQ is that it is quite expensive -- not just the software itself, but also any classes people might want to take online to learn to use it more effectively.

I do find EQ7 useful, especially for quickly changing the sizing or coloring of a quilt, and I have gotten to the point where I can design simple quilts and borders with it. However, it took me a long time to get that far.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Gay

There is an eQuilter section where you can put up a panel, select colours from the panel, and it will find their matching fabrics to choose from, which the company will send to you. But it's not like EQ

https://www.equilter.com/product/238...-digital-print
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 AM

For a newsletter article, it would entirely appropriate to compare Equilter to EQ. I used to write for the KC Star and the dilemma of writing articles is always to identify exactly how to approach a subject. Since many people are acquainted with EQ and others are curious about Equilter a visual chart comparison would be useful.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:42 AM

There is another designing software called Quilt Pro. It is $150 but if you use coupon code TheLastStitch you can get 25% off. It is very user friendly. I highly recommend you take a look at their website www.QuiltPro.com
Old 06-23-2018, 06:12 AM

A while back, Rhonda on this board (SUCH a help) posted like 19 lessons how how to use the EQ7 or EQ. I printed them ALL out and she goes step by step. Invaluable. BTW; Thanks SO much Rhonda.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 PM

I started with EQ4 and have purchased the upgrades as I was told each one is easier, now I have #7 and will not buy anymore as I think it a waste of money for Me.
I do not spend hours trying to learn it any longer as I am getting frustrated. Besides the fact that I am not that artistic to design my own patterns.
I have over 35 UFO's started from group projects and may not get all of them done in my life time.
I know of others who have great success with this program and pleased with their ability to master the Electric Quilt what ever version they have.