Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replacement machine for Bernina 830 >

Replacement machine for Bernina 830

Replacement machine for Bernina 830

Old 06-28-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Replacement machine for Bernina 830

Friend of mine has a Bernina 830, it is a little over 8 years old, and has been giving her problems. She took it in for service to an authorized Bernina dealer. They said it is the main mother board, and it needs to be replaced. Told her they can not guarantee if they replace it that it will be like the original machine, and it is a costly repair.

She has another embroidery machine, but was looking for advice on a current Bernina machine that has a good selection of decorative stitches that the machine consistently sews well. The machine must have the dual feed feet capability.

Was hoping that someone might be able to provide some ideas.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM

That's terrible, 8 yrs old and such a big repair
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 PM

I have a 20 year old Bernina and have already decided if something goes wrong with it, I'll look for a refurbished 180 or 1630. They don't have the dual feed foot but Bernina's walking foot is excellent.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 AM

FYI...the newest and latest sewing machines will previewing their newest models in the next week...the dealers are at Bernina University right now!! Janome will also be releasing new and updated models at this time...
Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

That doesn't sound right that an expensive Bernina would be dead at age eight.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:42 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the Bernina 830 and I’ve had it for 9 years. It cost me a small fortune and I would throw a fit if it needed a new mother board now. It’s waiting for me to take it to be serviced. The bobbin thread wound itself around the outside and inside of the bobbin and, try as I might, I can’t get it all out. I’ve been using my Viking Huskavarna Quilt Designer, but it’s not the same. And I have to travel three hours to take the Bernina to the dealer. Sorry about your Bernina. I’d cause a stink and try to get something done within reason that you can afford.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I got to play on a lot of different Babylock machines at a class last week. They are fabulous machines. I really liked the Aria... huge throat space and does beautiful machine quilting. Also has some embroidery built in. They were offering all the machines at zero percent financing for 5 years. The Aria would be about $127 per month. They take your machine on trade in, too.

Just a thought!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Wow, only 8 years old? I've had my Bernina since 2002 and it runs as nicely as ever.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I too would be pitching a fit that the mother board goes after only 8 years. My Bernina wasn't the top of the line when I bought it, it was the mid-grade (Virtuoso 153 QE). I think I bought it in 2001 but can't recall for sure. She is still running strong (knock wood). I do love it, even though it doesn't have the dual feed. Bernina could make a pretty penny if they went old school and started manufacturing all metal, mechanical machines without all the fancy electronics. I think their eyes would pop at the volume of sales they would have. I am sorry to hear about your friends machine. Hope her new one gives her many decades of reliable use.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 AM

That's too bad. I purchased a Bernina 1020 in 1992. I have it tuned up every 1 1/2 years and have never had a problem with it. In fact, every serviceman I had tune it up always tell me to never get rid of this machine. It is one of the last models made with metal parts. I love the machine and some day would love to have a sewing machine with a larger throat. But.... why bother since I've had so much luck with this one. I know a replacement would be made with plastic parts and not be the quality of the machine I have now. Good luck in your search for a new machine.