Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue >

I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue

I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue

Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Default I've Created a Big Problem with Elmer's Glue

I've been reading so much about y'all doing great things with Elmer's glue. So, I was adding a sleeve to back of my quilt. I didn't want to pin it. So got the idea I'd just glue it along the top to hold it in place, let it dry, then stitch. And I didn't just put a few dabs across the sleeve, I glued all across. Well, you know what happened of course. It dried like cement and now I can't push a needle through it to slip stitch it to back of quilt. Now what can I do? I ready to never touch Elmer's again. I used Elmer's Extra Strong Formula Multi-Purpose Glue.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Maybe try soaking it in water - it should just dissolve.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Use a spray bottle and spray water on the areas w/ glue it will dissolve the glue. Especially since you were going to hand sew the elmers glue stick would have been a better choice.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM
anonymous

I think the glue you used is different than the Elmer's school glue. Here is what the Elmer's company suggests: http://elmers.com/about/faqs/clean-up-solutions Good-luck.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Throw that bottle away!! What we all use and recommend is Elmers Washable school glue which is basically super heavy duty starch. https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Liquid.../dp/B000Q3KHCM

What you used is all purpose glue and not always washable. follow the link summitbay posted. You may have to wash the quilt several times to get rid of the multi purpose Elmers Glue all. They stress to not use hot water or apply heat as that may permanently afix the bonding agents to your fabric.

The washable is what we buy, but it does dry hard. So if you plan on gluing before hand sewing only put a drop here and there and put those drops a good 1/4" away from your stitching line. A machine can power through the washable school glue but hand sewing is another issue all together.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
What we all use and recommend is Elmers Washable school glue which is basically super heavy duty starch.
Well, it may have been starch years ago, but now it's "PVAC-based adhesive", or polyvinyl acetate. Still water soluble, though, which is the important part!

rvsfan, I hope you're able to wash the glue out of your quilt!!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

Try wetting a little section to see if it gets soft. If it is soft while wet, do your hand sewing. It may dry hard again but if you have already hand sewn the edge, you can see if washing the whole quilt after your done will remove the glue.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Next time only use washable school glue. Put on dabs, press with hot iron to dry it. This won't happen with washable school glue.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:07 PM

That sounds like something I'd do
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 PM

throw that bottle away. Next time use a glue stick for temporary bonds, and use the liquid (tiny drops) then iron for a more solid seal. we all buy those tiny metal tips so only the tiniest amount of liquid glue comes out.
Sharon schambers you tube on binding shows her using the tips and amount. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE&t=37s
sorry you are having this problem.