Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions >

Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions

Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions

Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM

The reason that I bought my Dyson was because I had a short-haired Chow/mutt at the time. I wish that I could have a do-over with that decision. The thing is a beast to deal with. I wonder if anybody has tried a Roomba?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 AM

I have an old Sebo upright that I bought used from a vacuum cleaner dealer. It’s the best vacuum I’ve ever owned for carpeting. With hardwood floors, it would probably be better to get a canister if they make them
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM

I've had a Roomba (actually 2 different ones; dh upgraded me a few years ago to the pet model) for 12 years now. I love it!! He programmed it for start time each day and it cleans while we are at work ; with the exception of Saturday because he doesn't like to be around when it cleans. It does a beautiful job on our hardwood floors as well as area rugs and carpet. This might be an option to make the cleaning you do less often.

Janelle
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

We have a Neato robot (similar to Roomba). It's great for hardwood floors and keeping up with cat fur fluff. I still need to use our house vacuum on the carpets once in awhile. Although the robot is great for surface dirt, the vac has stronger suction for a deeper cleaning of the carpets.

Edit: I haven't used one, but Miele canister vacuums have a good reputation. Here is a link to one of their less expensive canisters:
https://evacuumstore.com/p-28736-mie...yABEgKeSfD_BwE

Also, this website looks interesting for comparisons and reviews:
https://vacuum-cleaner-advisor.com/

Edit 2: If you scroll down on the following page, you will find that Shark wins out over Dyson and Miele in terms of consumer satisfaction and price:
https://vacuum-cleaner-advisor.com/shark-vs-dyson.html

Last edited by Prism99; 07-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 AM

I bought a Dyson and found it to hard to use for me so i gave it to my Dd and bought a shark that I love. It goes from carpet to hard floors and is not to heavy for my old body. it does a wonderful job and i would buy another if something went bad with this one.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM

I have a Shark & just love it. It's the best vacuum I've ever owned.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JanelleTrebuna View Post
I've had a Roomba (actually 2 different ones; dh upgraded me a few years ago to the pet model) for 12 years now. I love it!! He programmed it for start time each day and it cleans while we are at work ; with the exception of Saturday because he doesn't like to be around when it cleans. It does a beautiful job on our hardwood floors as well as area rugs and carpet. This might be an option to make the cleaning you do less often.

Janelle
What I'd really like is a robot capable of doing all my household chores--like that robot from "The Jetson's". I've looked at Roombas before and have been tempted to get one. I don't have pets any longer (for the first time in years). I would steer clear of this type of independent vacuum if I were a pet owner. I saw a photo on Pinterest showing what bad things can happen when a Roomba is left alone with a pet who isn't quite housebroken. It wasn't pretty...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry to hear about the new Dysons. Mine is over 15 years old and in great shape. We had a very sheddy dog and the purple Dyson really did a good job. Now the cleaning is easier without him, although we miss him. I got one of those cordless stick Dysons about 5-10 years ago and keep it upstairs. It does a great job up there on one charge. I use that for the steps. My son who has two dogs had a Shark and kept telling me it was better than the Dyson and then recently it quit on him and he got a Dyson and raves about it, so I guess maybe get one that can be returned?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 PM

I have a Shark and I am constantly amazed at how much it picks up -- I have to empty it every time, and I sure never had to replace bags every time with the last machine we had.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Shark is by far the best vacuum cleaner I've had. I first bought a smaller one from Walmart to use in our motorhome and was so impressed with it that I bought a larger model for our home. I like the lift off feature for vacuuming steps. It also comes with an accessory so that it can be used like a canister. (Several accessories included) I use this feature on our wood floors with included microfiber clothes. Vacuums and dusts floors in one step. I like that it can be taken apart and washed, including the filter. Micro fiber clothes are washed in the washing machine. We have carpet, wood floors and area rugs. I was especially not wanting vacuum cleaner bags. Too much trouble finding them and have gotten too expensive. Before this, I have had many different vacuums that I was never entirely happy with, including Dyson.