Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions >

Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions

Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions

Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 PM

I don't have a recommendation for a vacuum but some advise on the carpet with fringe. Vacuum from the rug outward over the fringe. Don't go back at all. It's a little effort but I think you'll find the fringe doesn't get caught up in the rollers.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

yep on the fringe. when i had a nice rug, one of my cats ate some of the fringe! but not my vacuum.
I have a Shark rotary or what ever it is called. the one with the Pet brush. so far it's been a good vacuum. cost $300.00
Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 PM

I have a Shark and if it dies, I will rush right out and get a new one! I never ceases to amaze me how good it works!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I have an Oreck upright, have had it about 16 or more years. It weighs 8LBs. Bags are hard to get now. About 10 years ago we had hardwood floors put down. Now I just use it on the cat room floor, black cat.

My Granddaughter bought a Shark and they couldn't get over how much stuff it got out of the carpets. I have thought of buying one for the hardwoods.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Hand down its the Rainbow. It freshens up the air in a room and it smells 'clean'. As we left Texas behind I bought a rebuilt motor for the Rainbow in case we had a problem with the one we owned. 13 years later, no problems. Yes, it can be costly, but it holds up well. It can shampoo the carpet, or floor moving from one to another surface. Easy to use and move throughout the house. We have run it just to clean the air in the room, to remove six gallons of water from the floor when our refrigerator leaked water from the filter. Check with local vacuum dealers and see if they have one for sale, less than other models cost new. Rebuilt ones sell fast, so grab it if you get the chance. We are 76 years old and have used a variety of them, and would choose the Rainbow in a New York minute.

If you cannot buy from a reliable business that will back their machines. That is important part of a good choice to use as a reason to buy that machine.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 PM

I clean 20 homes so I really make my living using a vacuum everyday.Love the Dyson 33 old model I found new one last year. This is #2, in 15 years Also like the shark rotator lift away pro. just not as good on wood floors or tile. But the lift away and weight makes up for that. The bag-less is the only way to go. The canister is so easy to dump into the trash. I would go ahead and get extra filters, I always have a clean one on hand. Shark is one of the quietest , both of these transitions from carpet to hardwood or tile fairly smoothly. I have had a Rainbow, the greatest vacuum ever. But the cost is a hugh problem, last time I checked over $1800.The waste being in water was a mess. Kirby bags are $$. Which ever route you take the biggest issue is to keep the beater bar clean. This is the life of you investment.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM

I also have a Shark & love it. Best purchase ever. First time we used it the carpets had just been vac'ed & it pulled up so much more. I have recommended it to many people since.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM

My dad and I ended up choosing the Sebo Dart to clean his house . The German engineering is outstanding. I tried the thing out as soon as we got it home from the dealer, and I vacuumed his house top to bottom. This thing is so powerful it puts my Dyson to shame. I think Dyson had a superior marketing campaign because, when put to the test against the German ones (Miele and Sebo) the Sebo outranked it in longevity, durability, serviceability, cleaning power, filtration, and so many more, but somehow Dyson cornered 32% of the market in very short order

As for this Sebo Dart, I love how close the right side of the vacuum hugs the wall (I didn't need the crevice tool for that.) I love that it gives you a green light if you have the height setting correct for the floor type. If something gets caught in the beater bar, you get a red light flashing. If the thing you suck up would damage the machine, the whole machine shuts down to protect itself. The beater bar can be removed by taking off the end cap==no tools required. Easy to clean. It's a bagged type which, after having the bagless click-and-dump style (definitely easy), I don't miss the mess of seeing dust go up in the air and on my clothes whenever I dumped the dirt and debris into the trash.

I think I'm going to love this one and might invest in one for my own house.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I buy the cheapest of the upright vacuums. Usually about $60 or less. I use them until they die and then buy another. Even the cheapest vacs are as good as the best a decade ago. The one I'm using now is a Bissell bagless upright. Cost about $50 and does a great job. My DD bought a high price Dyson likes my Bissell better. So far it has lasted over two years.

I have had a Rainbow, the greatest vacuum ever.
I got a Rainbow at my wedding shower. The family sold Rainbows. My great aunt gave me hers when she went to assist living, so I had two Rainbows. I moved to a rent house and there was a Rainbow left from the past tenants. I was sick of Rainbows. LOL They are big and heavy and a pain in the butt to use. I donated all three to different churches when we moved into our first home.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Took a look at the vac you chose! Quality machine and great reviews.