Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck! >

Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck!

Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 PM

Default Quilting 4-H Project - Wish me Luck!

Just finished day one of a week long project introducing modern/quick quilting to 4-Hers between the ages of 9 and 16. What a fun group of enthusiastic kids! I had them pick 4 2 1/2" strips from my stash (mostly donated fabric from ladies I quilt with). They did remarkably well on the 1/4" seams and pressing. And most made a second strip set as well.

I had them then cut 2 1/2" strips from their strip set and then sew them together flipping the 2nd and 4th strip to make 16 patch blocks. Had one younger member sew on another strip to her strip set the make a tube and cut 45 degree triangles to get diagonal striped blocks.

Will show others tomorrow/Tuesday how to do rail fence. All 9 are having a great deal of fun and very enthusiastic. And we will learn next some colour theory including the light/dark sorting.

I should have taken pictures of my car packed to the gills with my equipment and supplies - including 9 sewing machines and 3 totes of fabric, mats, cutters.... There was barely enough room for me, my DD (my tote and haul person) and my DGD who is spending the week with Grammy so she can take this project.

This is the culmination of nearly 5 years of preparation and planning.
I also have 7 4-H volunteers who either have some quilting experience or who want to learn. They will be rotating throughout the week. Since I am still waiting on the second knee replacement, I need and appreciate the extra supervision they supply to keep everyone sewing and safe using the machines, the cutters and the iron. Better for my nerves too.

We will learn about maintaining your machine before the end of the project and everyone will have something Finished by Friday. They will be using from my stash and donated fabrics from the ladies I quilt with or they can supply their own. I have a tote of cotton batting scraps and a bag polyester batt pieces also. So far the thread has cost about $45.

Our Achievement program (where we show off what we've learned) will be at the local fair in the fall, tying quilts and displaying our finished projects. We're hoping people will sit and tie with us and talk with the members. Fair theme this year is Reduce, Reuse and Recycle so it fits.

Any suggestions to add?

Pictures will be posted at end of the week.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-17-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 07-17-2018, 02:33 AM

It sounds like you've got everything covered and I can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 AM

Sounds like you are so organized and program sounds great. I learned to sew in Pennsylvania 4-H club 55+ years ago. Wonderful experience. I’m curious - what other block are you teaching them?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 AM

Patting you on the back from Minnesota! This is a wonderful thing you are doing!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 AM

Wow! You have this under control!! What a wonderful project and a wonderful job! I can't wait to see the photos.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 AM

Great to see 4-H is still alive! My mom was a leader in sewing and I was a member--mom had already taught me how to sew before the club formed. Still sewing and quilting at 74 so she must have done a good job. Thanks mom as you look down from heaven.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I did not that there was 4-H in Canada!

Where are you doing this project?

Would it have been possible for you to have done it in your own home? Then you would not have had to bring all those machines and supplies to wherever you are doing it.

Getting the supplies together sounds like the most challenging part.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:58 AM

I work with my 4 GD when we can find time in their busy schedule. But, this is something I have always wanted to do with a small group. I'm sure you had to over come many issues - where to get enough machines, accumulate fabric, where to hold it with enough room, etc. We had applied for a 'grant' through our local Rotary for all the supplies, but our tax # for the Guild was wrong. Then we didn't know from where to get the children, how many, transportation, snacks, non conflicting dates, and the list goes on and on. I just came upon way too many obstacles. Or maybe I'm too old to jump into this. BUT, this still peaks my interest. Please keep us updated.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 AM

Can't wait to see photos of the group and their projects! What a fun thing to do (for them and for you). I used to teach cooking and baking to 4H'ers and it was very rewarding.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:10 AM

Anxious to see pictures of their projects. Hopefully, we will see some new quilters in the future from your teachings.