Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Throw pillows >

Throw pillows

Throw pillows

Old 07-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Throw pillows

I have made several throw pillows. I do machine embroidery and quilting on the front and I have always used something a little heavier than cotton on the back of the pillow. I’d like to use regular quilters cotton on the back this time but I thought it might be a little too thin. I thought about adding stabilizer or interfacing. Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM

i use fusible fleece on back of the cotton stitch lines across works great for my pillow backs and i also used sandwhiched from practice fmq that works too a few times i used plain cotton they were ok held up pretty good i serged them but they don't have the beefy feel to the pillow
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM

I hadn’t thought of fusible fleece and I just happen to have some. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 AM

I have been using muslin, either tea-dyed or unbleached. Works fine and goes nicely with Civil War repro fabrics. I have a few other pillows with batik on the back - looks very pretty.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:45 AM

When I make throw pillows, I"ve found that I like to make a quilt sandwich for the back. Depending on how big the pillow is and the treatment it will receive, it really doesn't need to be quilted but it stabilizes that piece of fabric. In use it seems to keep the surface looking smoother. Plus! It takes less stuffing! You might consider something with a little more substance such as corduroy as it doesn't slide.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 AM

When I make throw pillows I usually fold the fabric in half for each section as I normally overlap them enough I don't need to add velcro to keep them closed. By folding in half you've doubled the strength of the backside. I also dont embroidery on the front side but embroider on a separate piece finishing off the edges and them glue them to the front side using Elmer's Glue. Reason for that is if I get tired of the embroidery I can always pull the old one off and replace it with a new one. Also if you want to change for the seasons or holidays, this would be a great way to keep the main part of the pillow cover but just change out the embroidery on it. Has worked great for me so far and I've kept the embroidered piece on my throw pillows for over 3 years now and they haven't fallen off. Guess its time to wash them though.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM

I usually quilt in one whole piece, for design placement fold so that you have an overlap in back then center your embroidery on the portion that will be the front. Quilt then on the ends bind or face before stitcjhing the side seams. Then you have a nice pillow no matter which side is up. Also makes it easy to take the form out to wash the over.