Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Getting my kicks from model 66?? >

Getting my kicks from model 66??

Getting my kicks from model 66??

Old 07-26-2018, 04:31 PM

Default Getting my kicks from model 66??

I've been trying to go see this machine listed for sale all week long - but schedules never align. (may be prophetic?) I'm fairly certain that under all that dust and rust lies a Singer 66 but to be honest, I want that table!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598425[/ATTACH]

The photo made me chase images for over an hour. It looks like an early "Combination Table" but without the pull-out drawer? Then I noticed the edge of a hinge on the one side and think (?) maybe I can date it to around 1929. I've never seen one in the flesh.

If anyone has a Combo table like this, I'd sure like to know more. I hope the seller is motivated because it looks like a ton of work: wrinkled and missing veneer - no top finish coat - let alone the rust. (Oh why do I do this?) =)
Attached Thumbnails washcombo.jpg  

Last edited by Steelsewing; 07-26-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:00 PM

Mine is currently disassembled and stripped, waiting to be refinished.

Here is the top, with the insert in place

It looks like it's got the swing out drawer on the end -

you'll also want to make sure it's got all three of the pieces so it can close up with the machine down. Can't tell if they are there with it open.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM

Oh Macybaby, thank you, thank you, thank you.

That is sew perfect! I wasn't sure if the top did, or did not, have a veneer or if there was one or two side drawers. I will make sure of the third insert piece. I'm guessing this was probably a walnut finish, and did I have the year almost right? There were so many changes in electric cabinets between 1920 and 1930, it makes my head spin. (4 variations of the type 40, 9 or more combo tables? yikes!)

Apparently I'm a little smitten with that first decade of electric tables. I like the classic simple lines. If the price is right, I'll bring it home. Thank you again. Just perfect.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:32 AM

I'm also a sucker for the sewing cabinets. I've bought more machines because I fell in love with the cabinet than I like to admit.

Though I'm still looking for a portable machine that has the cord with the end that screws into the light socket.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:10 AM

There was a 66 in a similiar table for sale here a year ago, It needed full rewiring, the table was in reasonably good condition. I still regret it, it had the early shiny metal Singer lamp, knee lever controller in the table. I have a 201 in not nearly as nice a table, but it's pratical and not bad at all. I shouldn't complain.