Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery stabilizer used as starch? >

Embroidery stabilizer used as starch?

Embroidery stabilizer used as starch?

Old 07-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Embroidery stabilizer used as starch?

I was reading some reviews on Amazon about some water soluble topper embroidery stabilizer when I ran across a review that surprised me. A lady stated that she dissolved a yard of stabilizer in hot water, put the liquid in a spray bottle and used used it like spray starch. She said it worked great! I have never heard of anyone doing this. I wonder if it's cheaper than buying spray starch. Anyone else try this?
Added note: I went back and re-read the review after typing the above. Please note that she wasn't using it for quilting. She was using it to stiffen the fabric in her embroidery hoop. She mentioned she had to wash the fabric later to remove the stabilizer. So I don't know if it would work for quilting or not. Just thought I'd better clarify this.

Last edited by janjanq; 07-28-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 PM

I use a lot of diff stabilizers for embroidery....if I can add my 2 cents, I think the spray starch will be much more affordable than stabilizers!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 PM
Gay

I have done the same for re-using the scraps of soluble for machine embroidery, but wouldn't mix a lot to keep - it will develop mould if not kept in the 'fridge. It will also leave a film on the fabric (till washed) that I wouldn't like to keep handling with quilting. If you want less expensive starch, I buy the powdered type for a few $, and it lasts for ages.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

From an embroidery board that I'm on, this is a common use for scraps. Don't know as I would cut fresh yardage to do this. I use water soluble thread to zigzag the scraps together, then use it as usual.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I use Terial Magic for embroidery stabilizer. I use it for any fabric that has a bias edge before I cut. For a flat as paper quilt block spray the fabric before cutting, let it soak in and then press. I buy Terial Magic from Amazon in the two bottle pack. Usually that will last about a year.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
From an embroidery board that I'm on, this is a common use for scraps. Don't know as I would cut fresh yardage to do this. I use water soluble thread to zigzag the scraps together, then use it as usual.
I wouldn't use yardage either, but it is a great way to use scraps of wss that are too small for anything else. I don't use it instead of starch either, it is for machine embroidery stabilizer.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I don't see how it can hurt fabric using it as a spray. I diluted school glue to use as a starch to try. It was too flaky. I don't mind trying new and unusual ways to use a product. I was thinking maybe dissolving some stabilizer in starch. Boost the starch and use less for better results.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 AM

I use embroidery stabilizer as a template for my hand quilting and have also heard this, I took some scraps and added them to hot water to dissolve and the smell was so horrible I through it away including the spray bottle.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM

First of all, no its not cheaper. Yes, it can be done. I save my water soluble scraps and if I have a design that needs extra stablizer in one area more than another, I'll spray it with temp glue spray and put it over that area or use it to patch if I get a hole in an area while emb. If you are doing FSL, you can disolve some of the scraps to put the pieces in to make them stiffer. I also use it for topping on towels or if I'm doing an delegate design or text it helps it stay on top. I can buy a can of spray starch for less than a dollar and it would cost me more than that in stabilizer
Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I use a lot of diff stabilizers for embroidery....if I can add my 2 cents, I think the spray starch will be much more affordable than stabilizers!
Mermaid is right! Also, unless there's an actual formula stating how much stabilizer to use with how much water, there's not enough information.