embroidery machine

Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 AM

I hope this helps in your research into a new embroidery machine. At the bottom is photos of my machine unpacked and all the accessories that either came with the machine or I bought separately.

What embroidery machine do you have and why did you buy it?

I own the Brother PE770, after to talking to the retailer I bought it from and lots of research I had made my decision. The gentleman at Mr. Vac & Mrs. Sew answered all my questions in detail. We were on the phone for quite a while.

He said it was one of the easiest machines to learn on, which is true. He offered lessons, but I live on the west coast, the store is on the east coast. So that wasn't feasible. I wanted to buy local but was turned off by both stores that offered Brother products. They were trying to get me to purchase a machine that was out of my price budget. So I turned to Amazon and found the above mentioned seller.

did any software come with this machine and accessories?
Software included added embroidery design discs added by the seller and it came with a few accessories (See photo below)

was the " learning curve easy or hard"
I found it easy enough, I would like to add I am still learning though.

What size hoops can you get for this machine
It came with a 5x7 hoop. I ordered a hoop package, so now I have an extra 5 x 7 hoop as well as a 4 x 4 and a 12 x 5. And a 1 x 2½ pocket hoop.
(See photo below)

what format can you download the embroidery design in
It uses the PES format

Would you buy this machine again or recommend this machine?
Yes, I would, it is a good machine for the price.

The machine I bought with all the goodies:

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Embro...=brother+pe770

The extra hoop set:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails thumb-1277429411113-p6240011.jpg   thumb-1277429411496-p6240010.jpg   1277429411466-p6240009.jpg   pc210036.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I bought a used trade in Brother 8500D for $199 to see if machine embroidery suited me. I am still using this machine for all the embroidery I do. I can download designs on a memory stick and use those with accessory that is sold separately. I think I paid $45 for one used. So for less then $250, when the embroidery bug bites, I have what I need. The machine was so easy to learn my five year old grand was doing it right along with me when I first got it. I see all these thousands of dollar embroidery machines most of my quilting friends have and my embroidery looks as good as theirs. Using quality thread, stabilizers and needles makes a big difference no matter what type of embroidery machine you have.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I bought a used trade in Brother 8500D for $199 to see if machine embroidery suited me. I am still using this machine for all the embroidery I do. I can download designs on a memory stick and use those with accessory that is sold separately. I think I paid $45 for one used. So for less then $250, when the embroidery bug bites, I have what I need. The machine was so easy to learn my five year old grand was doing it right along with me when I first got it. I see all these thousands of dollar embroidery machines most of my quilting friends have and my embroidery looks as good as theirs. Using quality thread, stabilizers and needles makes a big difference no matter what type of embroidery machine you have.

I bought mine because it is strictly embroidery. I Agree with you sentiments, why spend a lot of money on a machine only to find out it's not your cup of tea.
I knew I would get a lot of use of of mine, having 16 grand kids, it gets used.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Banned

For your budget, I agree that a Brother PE770 or a Designio 820 will all be an easy machine to learn on. The 820 is just a PE770 in a different color and it comes with more hoops and other stuff to get you started. There's also the Janome MC200E, but it's largest hoop is 5.5" square where the Brothers have a 5x7" hoop. The large hoop Chasing Hawk talked about is a special hoop for doing split designs, the machine will not just stitch out a bigger design than 5x7. Brother makes these entry level machines well, they're good machines, but I'll tell you in my experience with 5 embroidery machines(2 Brother and 3 Janome) that the Janome machines are actually more user friendly. With all the major brands having their new lineups coming out if you wait a few weeks you'll be able to get a good used machine, saving a lot over buying new. Either a trade in from a dealer or as a private sale from someone who wants a bigger machine. I bought 3 of my machines used and haven't had a single problem with them.

Cari
Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 AM

I agree about the PE770, it's a good starter machine, it is limited to a 4x4 and 5x7 design. The bigger hoop Chasing Hawk mentioned requires you to split a design and reposition the hoop and rejoin the design. That takes some skill and practice. I have Brother and Babylock embroidery machines and sewing machines and have never had any problems with them. They are user friendly, easy to learn. Embird and Embrillance is embroidery software that is inexpensive. They companies sell the basic program very inexpensively and then modules that you can purchase later if you want more bells and whistles.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I agree about the PE770, it's a good starter machine, it is limited to a 4x4 and 5x7 design. The bigger hoop Chasing Hawk mentioned requires you to split a design and reposition the hoop and rejoin the design. That takes some skill and practice. I have Brother and Babylock embroidery machines and sewing machines and have never had any problems with them. They are user friendly, easy to learn. Embird and Embrillance is embroidery software that is inexpensive. They companies sell the basic program very inexpensively and then modules that you can purchase later if you want more bells and whistles.
My 12 x 5 hoop is rarely used, I love the fact I have two 5 x 7 hoops to work with.