Bel Air 620 question

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North
Default Bel Air 620 question

I just acquired a "new to me" Bel Air 620. She was sold as not working, but turned freely. I've cleaned, oiled and repaired the foot pedal wiring (one post not connected). But when I went to test drive I realized she's missing the needle clamp. I've tried a couple of repair shops, one who said they'll work on any machine, another more specific machine related and they both looked at me like I'd grown a third eye! So it's looking like I'll have to order one on-line, but what do I order? I'm hoping ya'll experts here can direct me to the right part. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails bel-air-620-cleaned.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM

An osmg should have a bevy of old spare parts to try in the back. Can you bring it in for them to see?

Beautiful machine!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
An osmg should have a bevy of old spare parts to try in the back. Can you bring it in for them to see?

Beautiful machine!
The OSMG I use had a whole drawer full of those parts. I never found the exact right one for my machine (MW jewel 21), but it worked.

bkay
Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
The OSMG I use had a whole drawer full of those parts. I never found the exact right one for my machine (MW jewel 21), but it worked.

bkay
Let me rephrase that: I needed a new needle clamp, as the one I had was put on backwards and did not work when installed correctly. I had a needle clamp to compare, so didn't have to take the machine.

As WIChix said, take your machine with you. The OSMG (old sewing machine guy) can probably help you. Look for a repair shop that is not specific to a brand. The one I use locally is, "Mr. Sewing Machine". Or, to put it another way, don't go to the "Bernina" dealer to get this fixed, just a sewing machine repair place.

bkay
Old 08-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Thanks for the replies. I finally found a repair shop who would at least look at the machine and within 5 minutes it was fitted with a new shiny needle clamp. I'm hoping to do some quilting with it because the feed dogs can be dropped.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM

Great news!