Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BOM without kits? >

BOM without kits?

BOM without kits?

Old 08-20-2018, 04:59 AM

Default BOM without kits?

Hi All,

Other than the BOM with Eleanor Burns Down on the Farm, are there any BOM's that don't have the kits included?

I like the idea of using my stash, but find it helpful to stay on track when working things as a BOM (at least that is my hopes!). But all the BOM's I'm finding are the full kit.

Anyone know of a neat site to try?
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:06 AM

Pick the size block you want and do one a month from Quilt Blocks Galore? Just a thought. My sister and I are doing a block a month from the patterns from the 2014 Row by Row that we collected but never made.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 AM

https://www.fatcatpatterns.com/bom.html has two running right now. Both patterns are free for the month of issue and then a small charge. There are several others from various blogspots. I think it is a matter of bookmarking the sites or signing up for the newsleters so that you know when the various ones start.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 AM

This is not a BOM, but I treated it like one so I wouldn’t be so overwhelmed. I have a quilt pattern and each block is needle turn appliqué, 16 blocks in all. I treated it as a BOM, and I am now working on my last block.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:41 AM
bj

I’ve done 3 just looking thru quilt blocks galore and books I have that have blocks in them. I keep them in a 12” project box that I got at Hobby Lobby. When I’m between projects I’ll look for something I want to try and make a block and put it in the box with the others. The only thing I have in there that’s not a finished block is the background color fabric. I think I have 32 blocks in there right now. I’ll have to make the quilt pretty soon and start a new box as I’m running out of the background fabric (0:
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Hi Red,

If you like civil war style, Piecing the Past usually has a free BOW running. The current week's block is offered free, and after that she sells it for $.99. When the BOW is over, the completed patterns sell for about $15.

You could sign up for her newsletters and then you will be able to get in on the start of the next one. I did one of her BOWs, "Rest and Refreshing", and was very pleased. And of course you don't have to use civil war fabrics.

http://www.piecingthepastquilts.com/

Pat Sloan does a lot of these, too.
http://www.ilovetomakequilts.com/in-the-summer-time/
Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM

I'm doing the Moda Blockheads #2 now. A free block pattern is posted on line every week. There a quite a few others like this.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 AM

There is a 365 block challenge with one block a day all year. And a 180 block challenge with blocks 180 days. Check both of them out. Don't have the websites. Google them, they will come right up.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 AM

I like the Freshly Pieced Summer Sampler. https://freshly-pieced-quilt-pattern...eries-patterns

I made a quilt for one of my young nieces using one of the blocks from this summers BOM.
Attached Thumbnails ragsdalequilt2.jpg  

Last edited by heron; 08-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM

Zen Chic is starting a BOM in October. It's sort of a modern sampler look. She'll have kits available, but I'm planning on using my stash.