Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
JennC from Missouri >

JennC from Missouri

JennC from Missouri

Old 09-28-2018, 03:47 AM

Cool JennC from Missouri

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 60 year old NEW quilter and a proud granny of TWO. I have a Juki TL1020q.

I bought my wonderful Juki last April (2018) I think it was...

I started off buying Singers, as that was the brand I remember my mother using when I was a girl. So I bought a "quilting singer" for 100 bucks at Walmart and remember thinking "What a deal!"... It was a total dud!! I ended up returning three singers over the course of a month. They all had issues. Tension issues, thread skipping issues etc... I wanted to learn to quilt, but I was about ready to give up. I was so disappointed... After the third machine return, my little husband said to research good quilters and to buy a good machine.

So the search was on and I started searching for my perfect machine.

Everything was so expensive that it was scary. One day, after about a week into my search, I found a youtube video of a little gal reviewing a quilting machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsQQ6QhzN8&t=601s She sold me...

So I ordered my Juki from the place she recommended. It arrived in a week shipped via Fedex. I am disabled so I couldn't get it upstairs to my designated quilting room but the man was nice enough to carry it in my house. That was the longest day in history waiting for my husband to get home from work and carry my box upstairs..!!!

I was in love with my Juki from day one. The first quilt was scary. A little crooked but I finished it.. The second quilt was one I had tried to start on a Singer. I thought at the time it would be easy to make a quilt out of strips. Wrong! I did finish it, also a little crooked, but I was learning.

I put a tv close to my quilting area so I could watch HOW-TO video if need be.

Anyway I am Jennifer, Jenn or whatever anyone chooses and that's how I got into quilting, and how I ended up with my fabulous Juki. And I absolutely love quilting. So far I have made 9 quilts. Each one is a little better and I learn with each one.

Thank you for accepting me here in this forum and sorry for being so long winded.

Jenn

p.s. I do plan on trying again on a strip quilt as i think they are beautiful. I have bought tons of block books. One of my quilts was a "quilt as you go" quilt. That took me the longest to do. Most have been little blocks of all sizes. I have bought tons of quilting rulers of all types. My oldest grandson lives with us now until he graduates high school so I gave him my upstairs quilting room and my area is now in my kitchen. I have plenty of room. Right now I am working on a quilt for my adult son.. a manly quilt.. His birthday is Sunday. I'll try to post a picture of it..

Last edited by JennC; 09-28-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 09-28-2018, 04:17 AM

The is my sewing corner in my kitchen and also my son's manly quilt. The back is barbed wire. I am constantly straightening this area but when I sew, it just becomes wrecked.. But this is my favorite spot in my house!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]601802[/ATTACH]
Old 09-28-2018, 04:18 AM

ty Nancy.. I'm sure I will have tons of questions as I progress in my skills!!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Any little corner you can call your own, works!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:59 AM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! I'm a little old lady who was self-taught 100 years ago. I love the way you just jumped in and started! Way to go, Jenn! We all make mistakes. That's what keeps the ripper companies in business!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 AM

Welcome from Texas. So glad you've joined us & are off to a good start with your quilting.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Welcome Jenn and greetings from the left coast (Seattle area)! I'm 2 years younger than you and anxiously waiting/wanting to be a proud grandma Don't know when/if it will happen but I already have two completed crib quilts and a pair of twin tops ready...

Grats on your machine and loving it. Sewing is much easier when we like our machines. I have an old machine as my primary (1940s?? Remington, belonged to a friend's grandmother), plus a couple other old machines as back-up. I'll be visiting a friend in November and she wants me to take her Bernina back home with me -- the machine itself has mixed reviews but she used it for years so it isn't a dud and it has an automatic threader which will be nice for me. It's used price is still several times more than I'd be willing to pay.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio, happy to have you among us.