Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Franklin Wheel Turns Backward >

Vintage Franklin Wheel Turns Backward

Vintage Franklin Wheel Turns Backward

Old 09-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Default Vintage Franklin Wheel Turns Backward

The wheel on this Vintage Franklin turns backward and also does something like a stretch stitch by moving the fabric forward a little then backward a little then sews forward. Is this correct or do we have it put together wrong.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 AM

"backwards" is a relative term as not all machines are made to have the flywheel turn the same. I beleive a lot of "Franklin" badge machines were made by Domestic (White) and I know White turn opposite Singers, and now most turn like Singer did, it's very possible that it is turning correctly. Most I've seen, if you turn them the wrong way, the feed dogs and hook move backwards so it can't form a stitch.

If it is a VS machine, they do have a bit of a hitch in them, but I don't think it moves the fabric, you see it more in the needle.

BTW - how old is your vintage machine? If it's a zigzag machine, then it may have a type of stretch stitch, but they did not start making machines like that until knits became popular, so like 60's -70's. If it's a straight stitch only machine, it should not be doing anything like that. If your machine has reverse, the reverse may be the problem. I had a Singer 15-91 that the reverse lever didn't want to stay where it was put, so it would move around with each stitch and that caused some strange stitching. the spring tension part had lost too much of it's tension.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 AM

I don't have a clue how old this machine is. This is one that was totally rusted and Roger was able to get it working again.
Attached Thumbnails 2018-aug-4-sharon-heistons-franklin-after-work-done-roger.jpg  
Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 AM

That is a White manufactured machine - so if you need bobbins or a bobbin case or attachments, they are very easy to find (vintage) on places like eBay.

So the wheel will turn opposite what Singer does, but you should not be getting that "hitch". Check your stitch length mechanism and make sure that is working correctly and does not move around ones you set it.

Come over to the Victorian Sweat Shop message board, that is full of people who specialize in vintage machines.