Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beatles quilt fabricThe >

Beatles quilt fabricThe

Beatles quilt fabricThe

Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM

Default Beatles quilt fabricThe

A friend asked me if I cd make her a Beatles quilt & sent a pic from pinterest....The few fabrics I cd find were very expensive....one fat quarter was 17.00 + postage.....Anyone no where I cd get Beatles fabric that doesn't cost an arm and leg....I dont think the cost is worth making a quilt for her.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Non-quilters/crafters have no idea how much stuff costs. If you are willing to do the work I'd give her links to the fabric and how much of each she should buy.

My most recent bout of this sort of thing happened last summer, hubby had posted some pictures of my quilts and his half-brother asked if I would make him one like one of the pictures. Now, typically I don't make duplicate quilts (except for children's corner/donation quilts that are very similar) and I didn't have room on my schedule for one for him, so I thought I'd make a very generous (to me!) offer that I would give him the quilt he liked that I made for myself in return for the cost of the fabric. Some of the fabrics were on sale and as we know and the non-sewers don't, there are no guarantees that they will be out again the next year so I went ahead and bought them. Informed him that it would be $100 and I was informed that was just too much... Oh well, when/if I'm ready to remake that quilt I have the fabric on hand.

Edit/PS: I don't do quilts on commission because I don't want to do what other people want on their timeline (maybe selfish but at least I know myself). I make them to give away because as I say, I don't work for that cheap but I give freely. Since I have to put some value of my time, I use $15 an hour. I think in my area I can easily sell my quilts for $350-500+, but "my" cost is more like $650-1000 once you figure in the cost of materials and the cost of my time.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 AM

I didn't figure the hours but the materials alone (fabric, batting, thread, needles) for the last large twin quilt I made for a dear small child in my life was $250ish. The hours would at least double that. I don't quilt on commission, people aren't willing to pay what it costs plus an hourly wage commiserate with experience. I only made quilts for people because I care about them and I love to sew and it's therapy for me.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

There is a picture of someone’s yellow submarine done in little squares on QB. Maybe you could do something like that? Perhaps a replica of the John Lennon mosaic in New York?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

maybe you could find a panel of them.... hopefully. that would make the center and you would build blocks around that.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Boy, you're right. I just checked Ebay and Etsy and the few things I found were super expensive.
What was the fat quarter you found? I didn't see any.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Ebay has yellow submarine fabric at $49.99 per yd. more things called Pop Culture.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Maybe you can suggest to your friend making a quilt about The Beatles without The Beatles fabric. I mean, you could use music themed fabric (with musical notes, pentagram, instruments, discs, etc...) and fabric with peace symbols or other things related. Then, add a big applique with the letters of the name of the group in the center or any visible part of the quilt.

You can even embroider the titles of her favorite songs in some blocks...

I think it would be a lovely quilt.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:18 PM

I just did a search on spoonflower and amazon, most of the amazon fabrics were from spoonflower. Still pricey, but "only" around 17.50 (plus shipping) per yard instead of per fat quarter.

https://www.spoonflower.com/shop?utf...tles&commit=Go
Old 10-03-2018, 03:15 AM

I found some off of Etsy and Ebay a few years ago. I am not sure I have anything left, I will check. If I do, you are more than welcome to have it.