Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tips for thread painting >

tips for thread painting

tips for thread painting

Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 AM

Default tips for thread painting

I have watched several videos on thread painting and would really like to try it. I would appreciate any and all tips you have. One thing I really have a question about is thread - weight, what to use in bobbin, etc. But I welcome any tips you have.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I would use fine, polyester bobbin thread such as is often used in embroidery machines. Be aware that heavy use of cotton thread can stiffen up a piece. I would stick with polyester threads for the top because they are strong enough to withstand the speed and remain supple. Rayon thread is nice too, but cannot stand up to laundering the way polyester can. Fine if the piece will rarely be washed.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:05 PM

You will need to use some sort of stabilizer behind your piece or a hoop or both to keep the piece from drawing up.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:07 AM

I believe there is a show on The Quilt Show site specifically on thread painting. Also check Sewing with Nancy.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Craftsy has some wonderful classes on thread painting it is a very fun thing to do and you do use different size threads for project I also like free motion embroidery
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 AM

I love thread painting. I wanted to learn too, so I watched you tube for hours. There are So many good tips, tricks and techniques there! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thread+painting+with+sewing+m achine

I found good advice right here to: Thread Painting

The thread you use will depend on the effect you are trying to get, and the project you are working on.
When I first started, I used bottom line thread in the bobbin. DecoBob also works. I think any finer thread will work in the bobbin especially if you are doing a wall hanging.

I used an iron on stabilizer. Then I tried Terial Magic instead of a stabilizer. I have also done it with no stabilizer at all...just 2 or 3 layers of batting. All worked. So much depends on what you are painting or sketching. How close (dense) or loose your design is.

Different machines will want their own tension settings. You might just have to experiment with yours.

And using a topstitch or denim needle has worked for me. Something with a larger eye, and a sharp tip.

My suggestion is just play. Don't worry about doing it 'wrong' ... just use what you have, and have fun.

Remember to write down your discoveries so that you can repeat the ones you like.

Last edited by mindless; 10-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM

Edit: Deborah Wirsu has some excellent tutorials - I would start here: https://www.threadsketchinginaction.com/resources/
Old 10-06-2018, 01:57 PM

this laughing cat designs tutorial was also suggested by KrisB here on QB. It's a good one too.
http://laughingcatdesignsetc.blogspo...nting-101.html