Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I making a big mistake on this baby quilt? >

Am I making a big mistake on this baby quilt?

Am I making a big mistake on this baby quilt?

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM

What is the stitch count on the EMB design? You are getting some pull in the stitching by looking at the pictures.

How are you hooping? Did you only hoop the stabilizer?

From a Floriani instructor "Hoop when you can hoop and fuse when you can fuse". If the design is over 8,000 stitches, add more stabilizer by floating a piece under the hoop. It can just be piece larger than the applique size and not a whole sheet.

I generally back all fabrics for applique ITH with a fusible product. Sometimes I even back the background fabric too. I don't use heat and bond for EMB applique projects ITH. I like a sheer cloth type.

Put the fused piece of fabric on the design slanted so it is not straight on. It helps prevents fraying when the design is trimmed.

Are you planning on quilting ITH too? I working on trying a new technique that I think will work. I just tried ITH quilting and like the finished results.

Are you adding stippling to the quilt blocks?

There is another product called no show mesh that can be used for EMB blocks. I leave it in the block. Just trim down around the basting stitch to avoid bulk in the seam lines. You can add the batting in square by square or as one full piece when making the quilt sandwich.

There are so many options for these projects and it takes time to discover ones that work. Here are a few tips.

https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProj...ory=Fabrics101

PS: Most likely the blocks will look fine when quilted.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 10-04-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:04 AM

Those are super cute.
I don't think that you will have any problem with the appliques coming loose or fraying.Your edges appear to be well covered by your decorative stitches. I have never had a problem with that on machine embroidery appliques and I have even put them on dish towels so not gentle use. I do not put any backing on the applique fabrics for machine embroidery.
If you feel concerned about that (I don't think you need to be) you could quilt an echo line 1/8 of an inch inside of your stitch down line and they will be really well anchored.
Although I know Rhinda K is correct in her instructions for the stabilizer, I would do it the way you are doing it myself. I think your quilt will turn out lovely and cuddly soft.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I use liquid stabilizer on machine embroidery background fabric and that's all. Everyone asks me how do I keep my embroidery so soft and flat as a piece of paper. I tell them I use liquid and they say Oh you can't do that. LOL
If your edges are all caught in the embroidery, it will be okay. Be sure and secure the ends of the thread. They will work loose over time.

Here are two pictures of embroidery I do using the spray: https://www.quiltingboard.com/genera...y-t287624.html

I bought a used cheap Brother embroidery machine and it works fine to learn the dos and don't's.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-05-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Rhonda K and onebyone, thanks for the tips. The stitch count is under 8,000, but I agree, there is some puckering. I did use a stiffer tear away stabilizer that I hooped under the white fabric. I really didn't want a stiff applique, so I thought that if I didn't use Heat n Bond, or a stiffer cut away stabilizer, it would be softer. My main concern is will the applique hold up. The edges are well sewn down with a zig zag stitch under a satin stitch.
I guess I could have added the wash away stabilizer under the applique pieces, I didn't think of that. (I think the wash away I have must be similar to the liquid stabilizer. I have used that to piece quilt blocks ITH.

I do most of my quilting in the hoop, and love that technique as I am not very good at FMQ. I haven't decided how I will quilt this yet, but most likely will be lightly quilted in keeping with my softness theme.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Banned

I'm not a fan of tear away stabilizer. When I do quilt blocks like this I use the lightest sheer weight fusible garment interfacing for my applique pieces, and hoop a mid weight wash away stabilizer with the block fabric then cut away the excess stabilizer from the back once my block is finished.

Cari
Old 10-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Your applique should be fine. The layer of zig-zag under the satin stitches holds well. This is such a fun hobby and there is always something to learn.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Good info here and I love your cute animals. I believe after the quilt is put together and quilted it will be adorable and loved.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:00 PM

I've done as you are doing. After the tearaway is removed, and the quilt is complete with backing and batting, the quilting itself obliterates any sign if puckers. I agree, the fusable stuff feels like cardboard! If concerned about fraying, only use misty fuse, very pliable & light, but supports the stitches.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:41 PM

No Advice here as I don't do applique anymore.. BUT your BLOCKS are adorable.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:11 AM

I guess my question would be did you turn your edges under on your animals before you stitched them down. If you did then it should be fine. If not I would be afraid the edge will slowly come undone after many washings. What I would do is I would just make a simple block out of the fabric you are using and then give it a test run threw the washer and dryer a few times and see what happens. If it turns out fine then do it. Your blocks are extremely cute and they will love it!