Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
A FMQ Sampler: Making the Zigzag Frame >

A FMQ Sampler: Making the Zigzag Frame

A FMQ Sampler: Making the Zigzag Frame

Old 10-11-2018, 06:17 AM

Default A FMQ Sampler: Making the Zigzag Frame

Below are the diagrams for making the Zigzag Frame for the "A FMQ Sampler" thread posted here:
A FMQ Sampler

The frame does not have to be perfect. Close is good enough. Once your piece is quilted, the frame will look perfect. Mine is not perfect and you can't even tell.

Tools:
Walking foot (recommended) If you don't have one, do the best you can.
Water soluble marker or chalk or a frixion pen
If you have a long quilting ruler, you won't need to draw lines. Just sew dot to dot.

1. Find the middle of your fabric. Measure 1" from the top and from the bottom and place a dot at each spot.

2. From this dot, place another dot on each side 9" apart. You should have 12" remaining to the left and right edges.

3. From the top row of dots, measure down 4" and place dots there under each one.

4. From the bottom row of dots, measure up 4" and place dots there above each one.
You should have 5" or about 5" remaining in the very middle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602422[/ATTACH]

5. Draw the "W" part of the zigzag with your water soluble pen as shown in this picture:
The tail ends go to the edge of the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602423[/ATTACH]

6. Draw the "M" part of the zigzag behind the "W" as shown in this picture:
The tail ends go to the edge of the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602424[/ATTACH]

7. Sew the lines. Start with the "W". Sew over the lines you drew. Now, go back and sew another line 1/4" away so you have a narrow double line (represented by the dashed line.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602425[/ATTACH]

8. For sewing the M lines, Start at an intersection (where the "M" meets the "W"). You are going to sew the double line all at once: Sew on your line, stitch over 1/4" and sew the second line next to it. Make sure you are sewing the second line inside the main sew line. Do this for each "M" line.

9. Ready to quilt!

10. When you are done quilting, trim the edges 1/2" away from the points at the top and bottom. Trim the sides evenly.

Variation: Weave
You can weave your lines like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602426[/ATTACH]
On the left of center, the "M" line goes over the "W" line. The same with the right leg of the "M".

Hopefully, this tutorial is understandable. Leave any suggestions or corrections in the comments. Like my quilting, I can try to be close to perfect, but never perfect, and it's all good!

Happy Quilting!
Homemother
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2018-10-10-5.24.06-pm.png   screen-shot-2018-10-10-5.24.27-pm.png   screen-shot-2018-10-10-5.24.39-pm.png   screen-shot-2018-10-10-5.25.01-pm.png   screen-shot-2018-10-10-5.21.47-pm.png  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-11-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: make the link active
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial. i made your QB thread link active... not sure why it didn't do it automatically.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 AM

Thank you so very much for your time and effort to create the drawings. It sure helps me to get the visual on paper.
You are an excellent teacher. All my quilting is perfectly imperfect.