Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Double Batt? >

Do You Double Batt?

Do You Double Batt?

Old 10-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
I love double batts with low loft poly..ooh and flannel backing. It drapes nicely and shows off any quilting. My DH said that he would like a Hobbs 80/20 double batt on his new quilt, so I'll be giving it a try there too. I envision that it will have a nice loft like the Hobbs typically does, but a tad "squishier" ;-).
Teresa, please post back to this thread after you finish hubby's new quilt. I am tempted to do a double Hobbs 80/20 myself but am hoping to hear from someone who has already attempted it before I do...Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:39 PM

I've used wool or poly(med loft)over Hobbs 80/20 when I want significant relief to show the texture of the quilting and find it works well and I like the look. I also quilt on a long arm which makes it easier to do. I does make the quilt heavier. I also use it when doing an embroidery block or applique block quilts where I want the applique or embroidery to really "pop". On a large wall hanging done for a competitive show, I used double med.loft poly on a wholecloth to avoid the worry about creasing. But generally do not like poly for bed quilts.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I double batt quite often but I quilt on a longarm. I think it would present a lot of challenges to quilt a double batted quilt on any stationary machine (including extended throats) but even more so on a domestic. You are already dealing with a lot of bulk with single batting. I imagine it would present challenges in making the sandwich as well. Maybe someone who quilts on a sitdown machine can chime in with their views.

On a stand up longarm I have never had any issues. Combinations I have used are wool over 80/20 or W&N, Hobbs Polydown over 80/20 and this quilt was double batted poly. Orange and blue Kaleidoscope circle quilt "Tropical Parrotise". And this quilt had trapunto treatment and double wool so under the applique of the goddess is 3 layers of wool batting. Quan Yin - A show quilt. And this quilt I did a layer of Hobbs Polydown over an old wool army blanket. Batik block swap quilt

Double batting does effect the quilt's drape. It also makes for a very warm quilt and depending on what combination of battings you use can also be very heavy. The batik one with poly over the wool army blanket is super heavy and I can only use it as a bed quilt in the very dead of winter, like those -30 nights. For use on a bed, I feel the lack of "scrunchability" (lack of drape) does not have any impact. The quilt still hangs nicely over the side of the bed but if you want a quilt to cocoon into and scrunch up all around you, I would not double batt.
Double batting really emphasizes quilting motifs, provided you quilt closely enough in the background. It often gives a trapunto look and that is why many show quilters do it, myself included.
Feline F.--your quilting is wonderful and I love the Trapunto effect you have achieved with double batting. Thank you so much for your informative post and links. As someone else on this Q-board said, my quilting is less about showcasing and more about concealing. I could NEVER achieve your level of quilting mastering, I am strictly a SID, echo, and limited ruler-work quilter and hope that my quilting doesn't detract terribly from my (beautiful to me) quilt tops. I really appreciate your comments, especially as they address quilting on a domestic machine. I sew on a Bernina 8 series, so I have lots of harp space, but I exclusively make bed-sized quilts and avoid dense, decorative quilting, choosing more along the lines of what Iceclossom's descriptions of comforter-level quilting (3 to 4 inches down to 1-inch max channels).
Thank you again. You have given me a lot to think about.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Hobbs 80/20 is just too thin for me when I've got a cotton top and backing. So I double batt for cotton backings. I doubled my batting with a minky backing, and it was very heavy. But it will sure keep someone warm. I feel like the Winline Simply Soft 80/20 is more consistent than the Hobbs 80/20. I'm OK with a single layer of Winline 80/20.
Thank you so much for the feedback and Winline suggestion. I think I will now try double Hobbs 80/20 for my grandson's birth-date quilt. ;->)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM

I double batt under panels like Tree of Life, Horses, etc, to emphasize the features. I have double batted a polyester baby quilt to make it softer for tummy time. That was a little harder to quilt.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 AM

I double batt using cotton on the bottom and then top with wool if I want some motifs to stand out. Works out fine with my domestic machines.

Rob
Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 AM

I have been considering double batting a Judy Neimeyer quilt that I am making so I really appreciate this thread and all the comments. Lots to consider for the process.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM

My husband loves a puffy quilt, it's warmer. I have put double batting, or single batting with a fleece back. I do a tack stitch on my DSM just close enough per the batting's directions, and that allows the rest of the quilt to be full and warm. I have tied double batted and fleece backed quilts, but boy, that's been years! a tacking stitch on my machine works as well, and you don't have to worry about the ties coming undone down the road.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM

I've double batted on occasion. But most of the time I work with only one. I quilt on my domestic and find one works better for me. That being said I am not an accomplished quilter. SITD, echo, outlining and a little free motion added in because I'm still learning after all these years.
I absolutely love the art and graft that is displayed here. Such wonderful stitching to feast my eyes on. Love, love, love it.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM

I double batt for Christmas panels just the center of the panel!