Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question - New to applique >

Question - New to applique

Question - New to applique

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Question - New to applique

Ahead of time, I am looking forward to learning turned edge applique. I have one question though......how do you pin or otherwise secure the applique to the background fabric so it stays nice and flat, avoiding a too loose or too tight appearance? Maybe I am just worrying too much. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 PM

I don't like using pins because my thread always gets caught on it. I use a tiny dab of Elmer's washable school glue. If the applique piece is large, or has a long section that flops around, I'll use more than one tiny dab.

I've never had a problem with my applique being too loose or tight when I'm done. I cut away the background and press with steam, which takes care of any issues such as wrinkles, pin holes, applique not laying flat, etc.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Here is an idea. It isn't traditional needle turned appliqué but it makes for sharp edges. Then glue the pieces in place like Peckish suggests. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/appl...method-2977370
Old 10-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I too like using glue like peckesh but I use a washable school glue stick. I have also done applique by putting the pins on the back. The glue works great for machine applique and hand. The pins on the back is best reserved for hand applique.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM

I usually use the teensy appliqué pins when hand appliqueing so no problem with the threads tangling on them.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Another way is basted needle turn. This will be a bit long but bear with me.
1. Trace your complete pattern on the WRONG side of the background fabric. I pin my pattern right side up on the right side of the background, place a piece of typewriter or waxed dressmakers carbon on the table waxed side up. Put the background with the pattern pinned to it on top of the carbon paper and trace with a ballpoint pen. Or use a light box. It really makes no difference what method you use to transfer the pattern onto the WRONG side of the background.
2. Cut a patch of your appliqué fabric large enough to cover the area of the pattern you will be working on. Use one or two pins to hold it in place.

3. From the WRONG side baste all the way around the piece with a contrasting color of thread right on the traced line. Your stitches should be the lengt that you would use to do a quick fix on a torn seam. Not real tiny or super big.

4. From the RIGHT side trim around the basted outline leaving just over 1/8”.

5. Select where you want to start your needle turn and CLIP the STITCH BEHIND where you are starting and PULL IT OUT to in front of the needle turn the raw edge under, take two or three stitches, PULL THE NEXT basting stitch out turn the edge under and continue stitching.

6. Note if another piece of appliqué goes over the previous piece DO NOT finish that raw edge. Instead when you baste the next piece REMOVE the first basting and baste all the way around the next piece. Never have more than one basting thread in place.

Now for the advantages to this technique.
1. No templates to make. It is physically impossible to draw the same line a second or more times.
2. Pieces do not shift and move, you are only working on the distance from one basting stitch to the next.
3. By taking basting stitches out your feature has a small perforated line that helps in turning the raw edge.
4. No need to cut the backing out from behind thus preserving the integrity of the whole quilt. Heaven forbid ever having to replace a piece of the appliqué, but this way at least the background remains intact.
5. With the marks on the back if you miss a point or a curve isn’t quite right don’t tell. Also if for some reason your marks don’t come out only you will know.

i know this has been super long but hope it helps.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:44 AM

I always baste my pieces down and then applique. I don't like pins, they get in the way. Also, I always use a wooden toothpick (wet) to help guide the edges of the fabric under, works like a charm. I recently took a class from Bonnie Sue Haight. Go to her website, Apple Blossom Quilts, she gives tips for applique. She taught the back basting method which I cannot do, I prefer my method. Good luck with whatever method you do.
https://www.appleblossomquilts.com/quilting-tips.htm
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 PM

I use cheap thread (sergercone thread i bought a gazillion years ago before I knew better, before I quilted) to baste my pieces in place, right through the freezer paper, which I have fused to the right side of the applique piece. The edge of the freezer paper makes a nice edge to follow with your needle turning, and once you are finished appliqueing the piece, the basting pulls off quickly and the freezer paper peels off, and you're done.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 AM

I use the tiny sequin pins. Your thread will get caught from time to time on these, but it no problem to untangle or remove the pin.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:19 AM

I back baste, and while basting I pin from the "back" side so my thread never catches on it.

As for the background fabric staying flat, a few things...
1. Try not to hold your piece high up in the air while stitching. I do best if I lean on the arm of my sofa or chair and let the arm support the fabric, too.
2. Don't clench your fingers too tightly around the fabric, even when you're irritated
3. Flatten the piece every so often to make sure everything is still where it should be. Make a correction right away if necessary.
4. If your fingers are wet or sweating, stop and dry

I hope this helps!