Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt block help >

Quilt block help

Quilt block help

Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Quilt block help

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what this block would be called? This is a picture of a barn quilt that my friend's husband made for her. She would like to have it as a quilt block so it can be made into a pillow (so she can have an inside and outside version!). It would need to finish at 12" square... I don't know how I would go about making this from scratch... The barn quilt is huge at 6 feet square! And I'm not that good at math to shrink it!

Any help/ideas/suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails barn-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

What a terrific idea!
That design would be perfect as a PP pattern, and could easily be drawn up and stitched together.

You have a good photo. Work with it and overlay your lines for your PP parts.
Then blow each section up whatever % it will take you to get to the size you want.

Clear as mud?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM

I am making barn quilts and I take a quilt pattern and draw it onto graph paper which is 1/4" = 1" block. It would have to be 12-1/2" square to finish at 12". I would really like to see a wall hanging made. Anyway, if you have the graph paper, draw a square 12-1/2" square. That would be 12 and 1/2 blocks each way. Then draw from corner to corner each way, then draw a grid of 4 each way. Start in the middle and draw your small square. Then continue to draw it out. If you need help, I can do it for you. Just pm me. By the way, I think this is called triple star.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:17 AM

I think paper piecing is the way to go for this one since you want to keep it at 12". If you were to go bigger, say baby quilt size, I would use a lone star pattern made from jelly roll strips using a design wall to make sure that instead of separating like colors you would have like colors next to each other (the maroon, for instance).
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 AM

I would piece the diamonds in 3 units, with seams here, this way it could be strip pieced and just cut the 45 degree ends

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602708[/ATTACH]

I would treat it as almost a dresden plate. It is 8 points so I would start w/ a 45' diamond, take off 1/2 inch from each side of 4 of them and add that to the alternate 4 (accounting for seam allowance). Fold over the outer seam allowance sew the diamonds together then machine applique to a background square and applique your square center to the whole thing. (I would remove the 8 point bulky center before placing the center square.)
Attached Thumbnails a1a.jpeg  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I would approach it like Kassaundra described. Your block will turn out looking just a teeny tiny bit different because the green and yellow diamonds in the barn quilt appear to be narrower (therefore a different degree angle) than the red and orange colored ones. But the difference would be negligible and probably won't even be noticed by your friend.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

I don't have any advice but that's a gorgeous block! Be sure to show us what you do.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM

I was thinking pping too as soon as I saw it.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=oh2sew;8144863]Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what this block would be called? This is a picture of a barn quilt that my friend's husband made for her. She would like to have it as a quilt block so it can be made into a pillow (so she can have an inside and outside version!). It would need to finish at 12" square... I don't know how I would go about making this from scratch... The barn quilt is huge at 6 feet square! And I'm not that good at math to shrink it!

What a beauty.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 PM

The angle on the green and yellow points is sharper than on the brown and tan ones, so suggestions that it's like doing a lonestar are only going to work if you take that into account. It looks challenging and much easier to paint than to sew! It's very attractive though. I think I'd break it down into 4 matching sections with one green and one brown point in each section. They would be uneven quadrangles, but come together at right angles in the middle. If you leave plenty of extra background around the pieces it will be easier to trim it to a neat square when you're done. I would add the center square as an applique because that's easier than piecing it in.
Attached Thumbnails barn_quilt.jpg