401 Tension

Old 10-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Default 401 Tension

What do you do when the top tension is as loose as it will go and it's not loose enough? I had the tension just right and changed thread colors/type and it started showing the bobbin thread on the top. (I'm quilting a top on a kids quilt with lots of colors.)

I stopped, unthreaded it and tried to clean between the disks with dental floss. Nothing came out that I could tell. I checked that the presser foot lever was activating the tension and it appears to be doing that.

Somewhere in this checking, it adjusted itself to what appears to be good tension. However, it's still on "0" and cannot be loosened any more.

Do I just adjust the bobbin tension so that it balances better with the top tension? (I have the adjustors manual somewhere.)

(The tension assembly has not be removed and cleaned on this machine.)

Bkay
Old 10-27-2018, 01:56 PM

0 should be pretty loose, check by pulling the thread backwards when fully threaded. When you have the top tesion between 4 and 5 it should stitch fine on two layers of quilt weight cotton. Do the drop test on the bobbin case just to have a rought idea of the situation. If you have switched to a heavier thread than your machine is adjusted for you need to do the bobbin tension over again. Make sure the top tensioner turns about 0-9 with out hickups, and that there's gradually increasing tension from 0-9. If not you are forced to take it appart and check it. Needle size makes the difference when stitching throught layers of cotton and batting.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:02 PM

Can't do a drop test on a 401, as it is a drop in bobbin.

bkay, did you put a new bobbin in when you changed thread? I'm wondering if you got the bobbin thread under the tension spring?

As for the upper tension you might want to check out http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...djustment.html or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UttHpnQy0xk

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 PM

The drop test on a horizotal bobbin case is with a bag of rice or beans, 1 oz.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:19 PM

I guess I should have said it isn't as easy to do a "drop test" on a 401. I'd prefer not to take a horizontal bobbin case out just to do a "drop test" especially if it had been sewing. I'd check threading first.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:28 AM

I adjusted the bobbin tension. It's better, but needs more work to get it just right.

No, Janey, I didn't change the bobbin. I'm quilting an I spy quilt on my DSM with a walking foot. I'm using black poly in the bobbin and switching the top thread with each block. I suppose that's one of the problems. I'm just using whatever thread color best matches the top. The threads are just whatever I have. Some are poly, some are cotton and most are pretty old.

The bobbin tension has needed adjusting for a while, but I'm reluctant to change the bobbin tension on anything. I'll just check the tension on my dummy with each change of thread.

Thanks for the help.

bkay
Old 10-28-2018, 07:31 AM

Thanks again, Janey. I just went to your link. It's very informative.

bkay