Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Weird, this post was empty when I got here to read it. Oh well - I'm in for Bonnie Hunter again this year. Worried about her comment regarding "see where things go" for those wanting to use single fabrics, I've decided to break my rule and go scrappy this year. Fingers crossed that I like the end result (I haven't had much luck doing that in the past).

In the meantime, I've pulled my colours (red, purple, green, orange) but I'm switching up the order just to be different
kristaka - your colors sound wonderful - I love purple and orange together but I am worried about her single fabric comment too.

Also, when she talked about those who are only using 1 piece for the background she said, "sure you can but it won't be as fun" and "we're going to do some really fun stuff with the neutrals" so now just when I was set on only using ONE fabric for each color I am re-thinking and wondering if I should go all in on scrappy.

I've done many scrap quilts and I love them but sometimes just using 1 fabric is easier and less stressful for me... maybe stressful is the wrong word - I get so wrapped up in going through my 2" square bin - or what ever size - that I spend more time hunting fabric than sewing it.

On the other hand, the only other projects going right now are a leader/ender log cabin and a Notre Dame T-shirt quilt so.... maybe I'll go back through my stash and see if I can scrap things up a bit.

Only 2 more sleeps until Clue 1.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM

Getting excited when AmyBible said only 2 more sleeps. I switched my colors as lack of certain colors or tones in my stash. So far have pulled more lighter green, Purple, teal/turquoise, other color not sure if I am going with yellow or orange. Still on the fence I want plenty of contrast. My background color is bright white but also considering light grey or black if I go with black may need to do some shopping tomorrow . So still debating. We will see when I wake up on Friday.

Last edited by frustratedquilter40; 11-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM

This will be my 4th Bonnie Hunter mystery, but it's the first one in which I am not using her colors. I don't like primary colors, especially red, so I am going with jewel tones. And I am switching the orange to purple.

Leslie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604247[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bonnie-hunter-mystery-2018.jpg  
Old 11-21-2018, 01:13 AM

Audsgirl, those are beautiful jewel tone prints and your neutrals are great too with the small lines/designs. Someone else mentioned how difficult it is to find neutrals like that but you have a great collection. I'm still on the fence with this one and may just have to watch from the sidelines....but oh, it is so tempting to jump in right away. I loved Peggy's suggestion of using an inspiration fabric to start with so I've at least picked out that from my stash and have most of those colors on hand.
Attached Thumbnails bh-inspirational-fabric-2018-002.jpg  
Old 11-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Gorgeous fabrics, Audsgirl... and what wonderful neutrals!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Oooo Leslie your fabrics are so scrumptious. That will be a beautiful quilt.

frustratedquilter -- when I posted it was actually 3 more sleeps - getting ahead of myself - but today it really is only 2 more sleeeps.... whew!

Last edited by AmyBible; 11-21-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 AM

What a pretty focus fabric, Carol. That is the way I put together most of my quilts -- using a focus fabric. I seem to be somewhat challenged in coming up with color combinations from scratch.

Leslie, those are beautiful fabrics. I listened to part of Bonnie's blog video the other night, and she said it was important that every color be able to stand up against every other color with good contrast. I can't tell from the photo, but are your blues different enough from your purples that they won't blend together when next to each other?

I got no pressing done yesterday, will try again today. Getting curiouser and curiouser about this quilt!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:00 PM

that is a very cool fabric Carol. I love your fabrics Leslie. I am ready to start rocking this mystery!
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I listened to part of Bonnie's blog video the other night, and she said it was important that every color be able to stand up against every other color with good contrast.
She gives good hints like that....
Old 11-21-2018, 03:21 PM

I have done what many of you are doing. I decided to change out my orange for brown, red for purple, and green for green and touques/blue for the blue, with med/darks in the colors. I just couldn't go with the red and orange colors. Still going with mainly batiks. One yard of fabric is the same shade/color as the purple I have in batiks. I have enough of the purple in batiks, but I want to enlarge the quilt, so I needed more fabric. I still need to wash the purple fabric, I'm hoping she is not starting off with that color.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating and those that aren't have a great day too. Patiently waiting for Friday. Happy sewing/quilting.

I didn't get my Nebraska quilt done yet. I miscalculated one border and have to make 4 more blocks. I will give the quilt to the quilter on Saturday now. So I have 3 days to work on the quilt. I think I will really like this quilt. when it is done. I'm so glad hubby is getting it.