Faux American Girl Doll

Old 11-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Faux American Girl Doll

I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error.

I now have a great-niece who is getting to that age and will require doll clothes.
My question is: Has anyone found a doll (reasonably priced) that would be exactly the same size as the AG doll? Help is needed!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I believe the 'My Life' doll is same size, might need to check. I was reading reviews on some of the clothes and that they did not fit.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

American Girl dolls are 18". Just do a google (or bing, or yahoo, or any of the search engines) search for 18" dolls and you will get loads of options. Walmart offers one for $20. Very bare bones with no accessories.

Just found this blog about all the 18" dolls out there but it is 5 years old and mentions Toys R Us which we know is no more. But this will give you an idea of all the options out there, expensive and inexpensive alike.

http://www.homegrownfamilies.net/201...-alternatives/

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-19-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM

I can't help with which dolls best match the American Girl Dolls, but I can tell you that the doll sold by Michaels is smaller. The Springfield dolls that JoAnns sold were a good match, but I haven't seen them at JoAnns lately.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:18 AM

I've seen the 18" dolls at WalMart that resemble American Girl dolls. I think your patterns would fit those dolls. I wish the AG dolls had a pretty "breastplate" so the cute clothes that don't cover the upper torso looked nicer. IMHO anyhow, especially for the price of the AG dolls.

Last edited by illinois; 11-20-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: nothing showed on first try!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:59 AM

I found it really helped to have the doll handy to do a mid-sewing fit. I sewed a lot of clothes while baby sitting the DGD's.

But I have to tell you about something really remarkable. My youngest DGD was born missing the lower part of her right arm. There is a company somewhere in the US, that will work with the child's family and medical team, to alter an American Girl doll to conform with the child's physique (I hesitated to say disability because DGD is definitely not!!)
Her doll came missing the lower part of her right arm and has a prosthesis! This is an amazing service to make differently-abled children feel included. Okay off my soap box.

Last edited by GingerK; 11-20-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Nothing showed on first attempt.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error...
It may not have been operator error. From my understanding, even with the authentic AG dolls, there can be differences in body shapes and sizes. When I was doing some research a few years back, I found https://www.pixiefaire.com/blogs/dol...l-measurements which shows some of the differences. When I was looking for that site I found a couple of others that seem to indicate the same thing. One of the following links also had link to how to alter patterns to fit and the measurements that are needed.
https://www.rosiesdollclothespatterns.com/doll-sizing/
http://www.silly-monkey.com/pages/in...surements.html

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-20-2018 at 06:44 AM. Reason: correct blank post
Old 11-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Oh Ginger, i heard of that. wonderful for children!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
I really enjoyed making doll clothes for the American Girl doll, but some of the clothes were a bit off to be a good fit. The patterns were fine. I'm assuming it was operator error.

I now have a great-niece who is getting to that age and will require doll clothes.
My question is: Has anyone found a doll (reasonably priced) that would be exactly the same size as the AG doll? Help is needed!
Walmart carries a good reasonable facsimile. They are slightly different sized, but I just measured the doll and corrected the pattern to fit.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM

I've seen them in Target and AC Moore. Maybe you could borrow one - that's what I was able to do. Good luck.