Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good stocking pattern >

Good stocking pattern

Good stocking pattern

Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Good stocking pattern

My son just proposed the idea that we have a stocking making party this year. I知 wondering if anyone knows of a stocking pattern that they have used that is good? Basically the kids want to make their own stockings out of interesting or cool fabrics. I知 expecting to hear requests for leather, cork, vinyl maybe...
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

I think You could sew up plain stockings and have them personalize them. You might even be able to buy some simple stockings at the $store and decorate them.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Try these. I want the dala horse.

https://www.favequilts.com/Quilted-S...ection33019241
Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 AM

I found this link to have a variety of stocking patterns. Have fun!

https://bomquilts.com/free-christmas-stocking-patterns/
Old 12-04-2018, 03:57 AM

I recently made this one out of a pair of my husband's jean's.
Attached Thumbnails rag-quilt-christmas-stocking-001.jpg  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Default Christmas stocking

I am new and thankful to be able to join the board forum. Thanks for accepting my application. Amy Smart has a lovely Christmas stocking project easy to do. Go to Pinterest and search: Christmas stocking and Amy Smart or just search for her blog. Hope this helps.

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/

Last edited by Carci; 12-04-2018 at 04:17 AM. Reason: error in address for Christmas stocking project.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Carol I love the jean stocking!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Sounds like a fun project!

A few years ago I thought I'd make stockings for all the family for Christmas. I just used a cheap stocking from the dollar store that I liked the shape of, copied it to freezer paper and used that as my pattern. You do want them big enough that you can fit a fist into them, or make them narrow and long and put bottles of wine in them (depending on the age of your family).

I found I really liked lining the stockings, takes a bit to get the hang of it, but the easiest way is to sew the top edges together (making sure the feet are pointing correctly, and then sew around the edges and leave a hole to turn the stocking through. Cuffs were a bit harder, but I got them down as well, as were hangers (trims worked best!). I made some really nice fancy ones, like a red and green diamond satin design with gold beads at the points, sort of like a Jester's outfit.

But then I realized that I could buy really nice stockings after Christmas at 50-75% off for much cheaper than the costs of the fancy fabrics I was using and I stopped after about 5-6 of my own.

When I was destashing I gave an entire box of Christmas fabrics to some nice ladies who were making stockings for the Forgotten Children's fund, that was a great use of fabric going to waste in my sewing room.