Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Question >

Binding Question

Binding Question

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Binding Question

I have a quilt on my quilting system (almost done yea!), I have extra fabric on the backing on each side and was wondering if any of you have cut along the selvage for binding instead of width of fabric? Just hate to waste any! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM

While I make bias binding (and have made a bunch in the last week) there is nothing wrong with cross- or long-grain binding.

You can even fold it over from the back without cutting it off first. Measure (and cut) a nice consistent width first. Typically though, I prefer the french bias binding even though there really is no reason most of the time for me to make it. It is great though using a striped fabric for extra interest in the border.

It's always been a struggle for me to get rid of the "excess" from the back you need to put on a long-arm. I typically don't really want to keep the long narrow pieces if they are under 6" wide, but I usually have more than that. I've met a nice person on the board who is willing to take my narrow/small scraps and I fill up a box of cutting leftovers for her every couple of months.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post

It's always been a struggle for me to get rid of the "excess" from the back you need to put on a long-arm. I typically don't really want to keep the long narrow pieces if they are under 6" wide, but I usually have more than that. I've met a nice person on the board who is willing to take my narrow/small scraps and I fill up a box of cutting leftovers for her every couple of months.
I am also a LA quilter but I have many uses for those strips of excess backing.

I don't cut down client quilts when they are completed so in those cases the client gets the excess back, still attached.
If a a backing is a tad too short for loading (have enough as a backing just lacking those few extra inches for attaching to the leaders), I use those cutoffs to add the needed length so I can attach to my leaders.
I've used them supplemented with another fabric to make a hanging sleeve.
Cut them into my binding (but like you I do prefer a bias binding if I have the extra fabric to make it or if I have curved edges)
Cut up into test squares and use them as my test areas off to the side when I am testing my tension. I test with every single bobbin change as well as color changes even if I never changed the thread type (IOW same brand and weight just a different color).
I do like scrap quilts so I also put them in my scrap pile and do use them a lot. I used a leftover batik backing as one of my lights in this quilt: Scrappy batik HST quilt . I save any strip I can get at least 1 1/2" wide out of.
Tear them into strips and use them tie up tomato plants in the summer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I often make my binding from those strips. Anything left goes into scrap storage.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I too often use the cut away backing fabric for the binding, much less Piecing seam/ bulk and you know it’s going to fit.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

​I consider length of fabric binding a bonus! I am using some right now because I had to cut about 110 inch length for my miter borders so I cut 4 lengths of binding at the same time.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM

I like using length of fabric for binding. I don't have to piece it and it doesn't stretch much.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

I use width of fabric for most bindings. If I get lucky enough to have length of fabric then I will use it it and add to it if need be. I never use bias binding.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Yes. It works fine.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 AM

I think LWG binding is preferable when I have opportunity to have it. There is less stretch it and keeps the edges straighter.