Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
I finally did it! (and a question) >

I finally did it! (and a question)

I finally did it! (and a question)

Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Default I finally did it! (and a question)

After thinking about getting an embroidery machine I finally purchased one this week! I needed a relatively portable machine ( other than my Janome 6600 not portable lol) that would also sew. I bought the Brother 1750 D. I went to my dealers training class yesterday and I'm in love with the machine so far.
My question is this: The machine comes with only a 4x4 hoop, which I was aware of. It seems after talking to others that maybe I should consider embroidery only with a larger hoop. I really quilt mostly and so wanted the
Embroidery function for labels and small monograms only. (Not interested in quilting with it per se.) My dealer a!lows a no loss trade up if done within a reasonable amount of time.
Should I forget about the sew function?
Don't really have room for 3 machines.
Thanks! Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM

I would say to try out this machine right away with the items you want to use it for, to see if it will "do the job" for you. Then you can decide if you need more....also, as I'm not familiar with this machine, could you add additional larger hoops?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM

could you add additional larger hoops?[/QUOTE

No. The hoop size is built in and pre-determined by the harp size. I have 4 computerized Brother machines and an older straight stitch only. All embroider, but I truly love sewing one them. One of my combo machines is attached repair right now ..I so hope it can be fixed.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Another recommendation to trade up if you can. What projects do you want to do with your machine? Are you planning on taking the EMB to class? You may want to ask about project and design sizes for the classes. If you are interested in designs considered ITH (in-the-hoop) you will probably need a larger hoop.

I started with EMB only machine instead of a combo machine. I didn't want to change back and forth between features. Jumped into the Dream last year and it's really not so bad after all.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 AM

I have my straight stitch machine and serger, and find I rarely need to use my embroidery machine for anything other than emboridery. And when I do, it's not that big of a deal to convert it. The hard part is finding a large enough open space to put the embroidery arm (my machine has a large hoop).

I've found my favorite hoop is my 9x9. I can honestly say that I have yet to do any project that would have fit in a 4x4 hoop. I've not made any labels yet, I do them with permanent ink so far. Though I did make a purchase of super fine thread (60 wt) that was designed specifically for use with delicate or small work (IE small letters). I saw samples of the same work done this read and more "normal" weight and the letters were so much clearer.

I also believe in "buy once, cry once". Meaning stretch a little bit to start to get more, because it will only cost more money (and more crying) in the long run if you cheap out to start with ( and I do mean that -when you decide to go cheaper for cheaper's sake - not because you really can not spend more).
Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.
I've taken your suggestions and am going to use this weekend to really give my machine a workout. We are expecting 6-12 in. of snow here NE PA so unless we lose power
I'll be busy! ( Don't think operating on a be stator will work well lol. ) My guess is that I will wind up trading up but who knows? I'll keep you posted.