Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Great top! How about hand quilting in some stars in the background after you quilt around the appliqués? You could also quilt a star in each of the squares in the sashing.

Love the idea of stars!. Just saw a video where the quilter was using felt to outline stars, etc. without marking the quilt. I'm giving it a go! Many thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by HettyB View Post
For applique, I quilt a tight line almost right under the applique and then echo out onto the background with another line about 1/8 to 1/4 inch out. And to make the certain parts of the applique stand out, and not to have puffy areas on the back, I will stitch in the ditch so to speak around key features. Then I use a simple cross hatch to fill in the background.
Great idea about echoing the applique! I'm trying it! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 AM

Your quilt looks great! Love the background. Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am a very slow hand quilter so I now only machine quilt. The fastest hand quilting is a straight line between two points so a stipple line would take a loooooog time. Hand stitching around the appliqué looks nice and then a cross hatch in the background looks good. Look at the batting package for the minimum distance your batt can be quilted and go from there.
I so wanted to learn to hand quilt when I first began quilt making. But after working on one quilt for some time, I realized it would take forever, and if I really wanted to quilt what I was making, I'd better do it by machine. I still yearn to be a gifted hand quilter, though; I so admire that skill. My MIL, who did hand quilt, once told me that she'd rather do it than eat!