Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new machine . Y >

new machine . Y

new machine . Y

Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Cool new machine . Y

So I walked into the Husq/Viking shop in JoAnn's this morning to see about getting my Sapphire 830 serviced. Started talking to the sales lady about the quilt she was working on and machine quilting on my Sapphire 830, she gave me some good insights about the issues I am having. Let me backup a little here I have been wanting to upgrade my machine - I have the Sapphire 830, a Brother XR1855, and a Viking Class 600E embroidery/sewing machine(which they don't make anymore but I don't do much embroidery anymore mainly personalized quilt labels ). So anyway I walked around to the where the Sapphire 965Q was sitting - I had looked at it right before the new year and they were marked down from $2777 to $1600 (give or take a few $s) and saw it waw still marked down. I just couldn't pay $1600 (newly retired June 1). Was about to walk away when I looked again Low and behold it was marked down to $999! yes it is the last one and the floor model but it wasn't being used - we had to look around for the electrical plug. So now my delimma is I have to sell my other Sapphire 830. So how much do I ask I still have everything that came with it and still have the box and it has low hours cause before I retire I didn't do much sewing. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Also I have sold on ebay before but nothing this big should I try there or go to one of the sewing machine for sale sites on facebook? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Now let me go pull my new machine out of the box and get this quilt I'm working on finished
Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM

I would start with a google search (and on Ebay) for models of this machine on sale. I have never sold a machine myself, but have thought about it. This was the first thing I did to see what others were selling the same machine for.

I have read that if you are going to go the Ebay route, to factor in shipping costs.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM

I bought my Tiara on Craigslist. You might try selling it locally there. No shipping to worry about.

Watson
Old 01-21-2019, 12:37 PM

I agree with the Craigslist option. People get freaked out because of horror stories, but I've sold successfully on CL and I find it to be much easier than eBay. These were my own guidelines for CL:

Meet only in public places, Starbucks works perfectly for me.
Cash ONLY sales. No cashier's checks, no counter checks, no wires; cash only.
If you feel hinky about anything, walk away without apology.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM

If you sell it on Craigslist, you need a place where the buyer can plug it in and try it out. I know I would never buy an expensive machine without trying it to see if everything works. I once bought a used machine that was advertised on craigslist, and the seller had me come to her workplace to try it. Maybe you could make arrangements with a local quilt shop to meet there and plug in?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Facebook Market Place is a fast selling place. About the same as CL. My DD's haven't had any problems selling or buying mostly kids clothes on there and always meet in a public place. The library if it has a meeting room would be a good place to schedule for an hour to try out the machine. The library here the room is free to use if not in use.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM

thanks everyone I did look on ebay $450ish. I am going to try craigs list and facebook market place or let it go. Have used all of them to sell stuff however, this is the first time to sell something like this. I'm not thinking I will get $400 although it would be nice. Just don't want to give it away. I think I'll try to sell my Brother first and see how it goes.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM

If possible, I'd keep both machines. Each of my machines do something a lot better than any of the other ones. Plus, when in a rush, I can keep both machines stitching and get done quicker. As I get older, I really like my older machines that go slower and not so sophisticated.