Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-Uh....No Way! >

Uh-Uh....No Way!

Uh-Uh....No Way!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I also want to make a Bargello quilt. For the longest time I thought no way and had no interest. But I have moved to admiring the quilt to looking at different how to's to wanting to do one. Still find it intimidating though.
I started with making a very simple bargello using wide strips and cutting it into fairly wide sections. My narrowest was 3" I think. Might have been 2 1/2". But it was easy to make and keep track of.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I have done many patterns. The best advice I can pass along is to do some practice blocks so you get comfortable with any techniques that seem challenging. When you look at a completed quilt it can look very complicated but when it is broken down into its simple units they are not difficult to attempt.

Don't ever forget, the people that make all those gorgeous quilts we find too challenging to try were once a novice or as challenged as we are. The difference is, they tried and didn't give up.

The one pattern that I see as a challenge and want to try is the Dahlia. Has anyone made this pattern? Someday I will make one.

Last edited by ube quilting; 01-24-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 PM

I like to try new things if I like them. I was told by my ex husband, to not be worried about messing up. The worst thing that happens is we waste a little fabric and in reality it may only be a few 2 inch squares. I will say despite his hangups he was good for encouraging my quilting.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I would love to do a Cleopatra's Fan , but until someone comes out with a paper pieced pattern, there's no way I'm doing it with all those templates.

Watson
Forgive me if someone already said this, I haven’t read to the end yet, but Accuquilt now has a Cleopatra’s Fan die.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
nothing much intimidates me when it comes to machine sewing, - but I just don't care to spend hours doing hand sewing work. I'm more likely to not do a pattern because I think I'll get lost in the tediousness. I also like to see progress, so it's hard to work on something that there is a lot of time spent for not much return.
I've often bitten off more than I can chew, because I love challanges. So, yes, I've given up on some projects. They're still around but have stayed UFO's that I don't count. I don't like tedious. However, I'll do tedious if it's an art quilt and I can vision the beauty. In front of the TV (super bowl is coming up) or I'll find a faster way to do it.

About the only quilts I do that are really simple are to fit my goal of downsizing my stash...charity quilts.

One year I led BOM for the Guild, starting very simple (9P) to the last project of DWR. I made samples (small table runner) of all of them. I learned a lot through the process. That's enough to satisfy my curiosity, (probably) never again.