Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low shank vs High shank vs slant shank >

Low shank vs High shank vs slant shank

Low shank vs High shank vs slant shank

Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Low shank vs High shank vs slant shank

Hi all y'all, does anyone know if there is/was a benefit associated with one shank style over another? Or were they design choices based on changes in the market (i.e. midcentury aesthetics, etc) or to differentiate themselves from rival makers (They have a high shank? Well, we have a Super high shank. With a slant!)?

I currently have several low shank, two high shank, and one super high shank Kenmore and can't really see the difference beyond outward style of the machine. Just curious. : )

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-25-2019 at 11:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Seems to me the high shank machines are more heavy duty. More pressure is put on the foot so it needs the extra weight on the shaft. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Seems to me the high shank machines are more heavy duty. More pressure is put on the foot so it needs the extra weight on the shaft. Just my thoughts.
That sounds plausible. I read somewhere that industrial machines were often high shank. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM

My high shank machines have better visibility around the needle than my low shank machines and My Kenmore Super High shank machine has the best visibility of all of them.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Most new machines take the "standard Japanese low shank snap-on." And if you've got that, there are a lot more presser feet that will fit your machine.

Bernina is it's own thing. Probably for the same reason Cari-in-Oly gave for the Kenmore super high shank.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:10 PM

I was a Necchi girl (high shanks) all the way til I joined here, my Necchi's transformer blew out and the peeps over on the Vintage Machines Forum enticed me over to the dark side. I sew most of the time on a singer 401A, which is a slant shank. I love the old girl, but I really think I break more needles on her than I did on my Necchi. It only takes a teeny bit too much push or pull on the fabric and Wang broken needle! The other thing that is good about a low or high shank machine is that you can get a snap-on ankle, and use all sorts of snap on feet. Hemming! Cording! You Name It-ing! You can do it all. Slant shank- not so much. Or really just about none at all. There are a few slant shank snap-on feet made for one of the higher # series (600? 700? I don't know but I'm sure someone does and will say so in a minute here) but only a few.

This makes me feel like I should re-arrange the sewing room so I can sew with my other Necchi for a while. Sigh.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:07 PM

I have the Singer slant and a Brother low shank and the slant one gives me much better visibility and works much better on heaver fabrics.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The Italian Necchi BU(zigzag) machines were high shank and the BF(straight stitch) machines were low shank.

Cari
Supernova alllll the wayyyyyyy! ​So, high shank, baby, high shank.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 AM

I love my Singer slant 401A .After 60 years, it is my only machine. I gave my other 3 away.