Replacement Motor Question

Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Default Replacement Motor Question

The motor on the 66-6 I'm restoring needs to be replaced. A number of online retailers point out that their motors "turn counter-clockwise when viewed from the pulley end". They also state that their motors are "not returnable". I thought this would be easier.

Which direction should the motor turn? I don't have another machine to compare with. Also, apart from the obvious red-flags that come up with most any online purchase, are there things I should consider in purchasing a replacement motor?

Thanks from a "newbie".
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 AM

Counter clockwise is correct for a 66.

Don't know where you are posting from so 220/110 voltage A.C. could be an issue. or even DC in some locations.

Have you tried just replacing the brushes?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM

There's not much to gain from replacing a working Singer motor. When the original motor is regreased, cleaned and rewired they run well. The specs (amps and watts) on the old Singer motors are not much compared to the new replacements, but I have tried a few of them. The new ones can be a bit speedier, but more noisy and there weren't any more punch in the needle fore some reason. I suspect amps on motors are like mAh on recharable batteries (take the numbers with a pinch of salt).

If the old motor needs more than a service or simple repair, you need a replacement of course. The new motors run though, just a bit more noisily. The pedal the come with tend to be the carbon resistor type, and I have clean up old button bakelite controllers that turn out just as good as any new replacements. It doesn't mean that new technology can't be better, but in my experience, you have too serch a bit for the better stuff, and pay a bit more too. There's a limit to how many stitches per minute a 66 can do, but generally its more than speedy enough for me with the original set up.

There's a big difference before and after a 66 is cleaned, greased and oiled, including motor. It should run smoothly and it's generally a low noise model.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-24-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:58 AM

A lot of other singer motors will work on a 66. I would put an original Singer motor back on the machine. Motors
from 15-90, and 99 class machines will usually work if you have the mounting bracket with them. There are usually
a lot of 66 motors out there because they made so many machines. Usually degreasing them, polishing the commutator and installing new brushes will rebuild them. Only issue is when the wiring is dried out and the insulation
flakes off. Then they need new wiring.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 PM

There is a guy named Matthew E D'Azzo that does motor re- everything: rebuild, repair, rewire, all that stuff. I know of him from the fb Necchi group. I haven't used his services yet, but many members in that group have, and he seems wonderful. You can find him by searching his name on facebook. Or, here's his email: [email protected]