Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody use Essentials cotton cone thread for quilting? Thoughts? >

Does anybody use Essentials cotton cone thread for quilting? Thoughts?

Does anybody use Essentials cotton cone thread for quilting? Thoughts?

Old 02-28-2019, 01:00 PM

Default Does anybody use Essentials cotton cone thread for quilting? Thoughts?

Hi, I just got a sweet 16 HQ. I need to buy thread and the most reasonably priced seems to be this cone thread. Any comments on this particular thread? Thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

The Essential Pro is made for machine quilting. It's 70wt poly. The Essential cotton is 50w 3 ply. Both are inexpensive threads.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:18 PM

do you suggest polyester over cotton? When you said inexpensive does that mean the quality is not so great?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

While these threads are quite usable, be advised the essential cotton thread produces a lot of lint in a longarm/midarm due to these machines operating at a much higher speed than a conventional sewing machine. I have used both the essential cotton and the essential pro in my Innova longarm. With the Essential cotton I made sure to clean my bobbin area thoroughly and frequently. The essential pro I was so happy when the one cone I bought to try was gone. I just did not like the look of that thread once quilted. I really did not like their essential pro at all but I believe my dislike was more preference and not due to any physical shortcomings of the thread itself. There are many, many brands I prefer over these two.

I generally prefer poly threads over cotton just because of the lint issue. Nothing more frustrating than discovering your tension went off mid bobbin due to a blob of lint getting caught in the bobbin spring. Or all the lint buildup along the top thread path. I do still use some cottons but only long staple premium like King Tut. And to be honest I have not gotten any Tut since Superior sold out so I don't know if quality has changed.

If you don't mind using polyester and like a shine to your thread I highly recommend Glide. You can also use embroidery threads to quilt with. Metro has great prices on their thread at only $3.98 for a 5000 meter spool. You won't find a less expensive thread. I haven't used too much of it as I have so much Glide, but what I have used worked just fine.

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=common/home
Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

that is mostly what i use. my machine likes it!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM

I really appreciate the information you have passed on! Amazing collection of colors! have never heard of glide thread. I will visit the web site and perhaps order a few cones. Thanks so much.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:01 PM

I have often read the comments and agree that Connecting Threads cotton thread was very linty. However, the last few times I've used it (new cone or new colour), the lint situation seems to have improved. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suspendedglass View Post
do you suggest polyester over cotton? When you said inexpensive does that mean the quality is not so great?
I use poly and cotton for piecing and machine quilting. Doesn't matter to me. The highest quality cotton thread is long staple Egyptian cotton. Poly is poly, can't change quality of it but how it's manufactured makes a big difference. There is a reason for the price spread on thread and it's not just the brand name. I say use what your machine likes and the one that gives you the result you want.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 AM

I was disappointed with the Essentials threads due to so much lint, especially in the bobbin, but also on top. I was attracted to it for the price, but any thread is expensive if it sits unused.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 AM

I have a few spools of the Essential cotton. It was on sale and the price was too good to pass up without trying it. I don't care for it for piecing or quilting. I am using it up on potholders and other small projects. I won't buy anymore. Much too linty compared to the better thread.