Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wool pressing mat >

wool pressing mat

wool pressing mat

Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Default wool pressing mat

I'm thinking of purchasing a wool pressing mat, but the reviews are mixed when I look at them on Amazon.

Some say they are smelly, others do not.
Some say it traps moisture if they use steam, others do not.

Do you have one? If so, how do you like it and what size is best for you?

I thought it would be helpful to have at a retreat so I'm not up and down to the ironing station all the time (providing I'm allowed to bring an iron, of course)

thanks for the input!
Chris
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I have several. They do work great for pressing quilt blocks. It's 100% wool so will have the livestock smell. It's not overpowering. I had one that had lots of brown ironing marks and looked yucky. I let it soak in hot water with mild soap. Rinsed and let air dry. Next time I'll put in washer on delicate and dry in dryer to see how that does.

Steam and heat goes through it so it has to be on a heat proof surface. The only way to know if you like it is to use one. I made the mistake of taking my largest one to retreat. Everyone wanted to use it instead of the other ironing mats. I had to wait to use it. Next time I'll take a smaller one to use next to my machine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I like mine. I think it's about a 15" square (+or-) Thought that would be a good starting point since most of the blocks I make are 12.5" or less. I didn't notice any smell, but then I don't really use steam, I have spray bottle with water if I need something more. I also put a thin muslin cover on it to keep it cleaner and it's easier to wash the muslin.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Take the reviews with a grain of salt, everyone's opinion of them varies with their life's experiences. I had to chuckle at one person's review, she complained that it smelled like a wet dog - it made me wonder if she was aware that wool is a natural fiber that grows on animals.

Could you check to see if there's a local shop that sells them? Sometimes they'll have one in the classroom. Also check the vendor section at quilt shows, that's another place I see people trying them out.

Do a search on this forum for past threads about wool pressing mats, there are other options and alternatives to purchasing on the internet that have been discussed already.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:39 PM

I bought an ironing mat and loved it so much I invested in a large one that covers my entire ironing surface. I have half of it covered with a piece of cotton so that I can starch without getting it on the wool. I highly recommend if you do invest, don’t get a cheap one. Mine don’t stink or give me any trouble and I suspect it’s because I bought quality mats. You get what you pay for, as they say.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM

I bought one and must be the only quilter on Earth that isn't impressed. I stopped using it. I ddn't feel like it added anything to my pressing.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 PM

I was given a small wool mat from Quilt In a Day and loved it. I have since bought the biggest size one. I think it's well worth the price even if not on sale. My smaller size was getting grungy looking and I washed it in the washer and dried it in the dryer. My big one won't fit so it will be hand washed in the tub. When I first got the gift one I took it to a workshop and when everyone tried it they all bought one. I think QIAD probably ran out of them that weekend. LOL
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Mine covers my entire ironing board. Yes, there is a "wet wool" smell when you use steam or water spray--but for those of us at a certain age that smell brings back winter--and damp sweaters and snow pants! Mine came with a spray bottle and a recipe for an odor blocker using water and baking soda and a lavendar or other essential oil. But the smell doesn't bother me.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the input ladies.

I had to laugh at the livestock, damp sweaters, and wet dog. I remember ALL of those smells. Fondly actually, so the smell won't be an issue.

I think I'm going to give it a try!
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 AM

I am contemplating using a old (50+ years) wool blanket and make my own. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts . The blanket has been washed many times if it makes any difference.