Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What you learn on the Internet stays on the Internet? >

What you learn on the Internet stays on the Internet?

What you learn on the Internet stays on the Internet?

Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 AM

Default What you learn on the Internet stays on the Internet?

There is a current discussion on this forum regarding "what you learn in class stays in class" and rather than stir the pot in that discussion, I have another question.
I am curious about what are the rules/laws about things you learn from a youtube video, a written tutorial, or blog on the internet?
If I see a tutorial (whether video or written)for something like a technique, a sewn item, a quilt, or anything that you can make, am I allowed to make a limited number of those items and sell at a quilt guild show boutique? Can I do a demo on making those items for my guild members? and with giving credit where the idea came from, without violating copyright laws?
I understand that I can not pass those off as my own original idea, I can not mass produce them and sell at a profit for myself, I can not write up a pattern and sell it as my own (although I have seen it done) etc.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

If something is on YouTube, I think that is now part of the public domain for personal use. If however it is from someone’s site, then credit should be given and you should not profit from their ideas. Just my opinion and I am not a legal expert.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

People seem to get a bit confused mostly about ( for personal use)
technique videos - you learn a technique, it is not copyrighted. You can teach others the technique, but out of respect share where you learned it. You can make what ever was shared, as many times as you want. If you plan to sell the items you should find out who the designer is and ask permission to sell the item, giving credit to the designer. You should never ( unless you have permission in writing) copy, share or sell someone’s pattern/ designs.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If something is on YouTube, I think that is now part of the public domain for personal use.
the video and its content are still protected by copyright law.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:26 AM

Here’s a good graphic guide to copyrights. It was written for polymer clay crafts, but is perfectly applicable to quilting...
https://thebluebottletree.com/copyri...-clay-artists/
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM

If someone is showing you how to do it they are sharing their knowledge with you and if they did not want it shared I would expect they would tell you not to share it with anyone.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan does tutorials of copyrighted patterns. Nothing illegal about it. Do people actually spend time pondering all this do or don't do stuff? Just use common sense and good manners.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Do people actually spend time pondering all this do or don't do stuff?
I believe it is our ethical obligation to ponder it.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM

I have seen patterns for craft items that say they don't want you making items from the pattern to sell commercially. And I have seen videos of people making things and they don't care if you make items to sell like their pattern. Most quilting patterns are very simple. I personally would make up my own designs to sell if I were going to do that but I don't really have an interest in that as there are so many people doing that already. Most of the time when I am walking around flea markets & craft shows I consider whether I like something or not more than I think to ask them where they got their design from and if they are copying someone else. I am not the craft police. If you design something and don't want people to copy it then it is up to you to do something about it, not me.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I"ve seen people make an item from a pattern, turn right around and do a tutorial on it. always wondered about that.