Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is losing points on Bear Paw Quilt Block Inevitable? >

Is losing points on Bear Paw Quilt Block Inevitable?

Is losing points on Bear Paw Quilt Block Inevitable?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:48 AM

Default Is losing points on Bear Paw Quilt Block Inevitable?

I have about come to the conclusion that its not possible to make this block so that all points fall such that the tips aren't cut off when joining sides to a sashing or another block. Some points yes, i can get..seems to depend on the order in which i sew the HSTS together which will create a nice over-lap (that is what creates the margin for the 1/4 seam. But the ones on the sides.. there is no way to keep that point? I have abandoned the project even tho I used the bloc-loc to maintain perfect half squares!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

That is one of my most frustrating experiences in quilting. I rarely have a finished product where all the points are right. And it's usually a pillow or something small but that's it.
I'd love to know how other people achieve it!!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 AM

Donna Jordan from Jordan Fabrics has a way of doing them so that you don't lose points on any of the patterns. Don't know if she has a Bear Paw but her method should work on any pattern with points.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I love those patterns where the points 'float'. most often 'Jack" and i spend time together where points are involved
Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan has a video with an interesting way to make this block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkYLy9x5pU
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

​Is it a show quilt where someone will be judging it? If not just get it done and quilt it up. It will still keep someone warm and I hardly think they are going to notice missing points.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 AM

Thanks all...I have tried every method including Jenny's (snowballing ends). And I love discovering Donna Jordan..so many great tutorials but was not able to find the one describing her method for points. I have seen many examples of sewing HST's and some tutorials show completed block such as the squared in a square with corners. those blocks would not result in crisp points either bc the angle point is right ON the edge..there is no room for a 1/4" seam so those corners get sewn into regardless. I believe it might be the nature of the bear-paw and probably others to lose those points. if so, it bugs me enough i will just not make quilts w/ those types of blocks.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Cool

We are all right there, in that leaky boat, with you. I've tried to analyze what is going on. Today I'm blaming the machine. The feed dogs want to work the bottom piece faster than the top. I'm sure there is a fix for this other than another date with "Jack". (He sure gets around--huh) So I ordered a brand new Sparrow 30.

How are you cutting your pieces? By hand or with an Accuquilt? I'm trying to practice some rec points for the Bonnie Hunter Smith Mountain Morning that I will be doing in November. I had struggled with En Provence on these points something fierce. So I ordered the die that cuts both left and right and the center. Those go together like butter on hot bread. In other words, my cutting was dreadful.

Last edited by Battle Axe; 03-13-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 AM

dunster, thanks for sharing Jenny's video on the bear paw method. She comes up with some the most amazing to easily make difficult blocks. Her method guarantees sharp points easily.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 AM

But I will and that's what bugs me!