Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics >

Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

Quality of Kaffe Fassett Fabrics

Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
I finally bought some of these fabrics and appreciated the colors and designs, but was very disappointed in the weight of the fabric. It seems awfully thin. We had hoped to sell this quilt to raise funds for our church quilting group, but I hesitate to sell it as a bed quilt that would actually be used.
What are your thought about the sturdiness of these fabrics?
Are you buying quilt store quality fabrics or are you buying Joann fabrics? There is a difference.

As to Onebyone—you paid for the kits, you can do whatever you want with them.....give them away or raise the price you paid. Why should anyone else care that you do that??? You should not have to justify why you do this!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-26-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-26-2019, 09:53 AM

If someone has ownership of a item---they can do whatever they want with it as long as it is legal. Buying low and selling high has never been against the law. And as explained in another post---an item is worth what the market will pay no matter what it is. Besides--I would imagine she can get a lot more for it on ebay!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-26-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: remove negative statement
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have a lot of Kaffe quilt kits but I haven't made any of the quilts so don't know the quality of the fabric. I buy the quilt kits to put up and then sell on Ebay after that fabric line is gone. I can get triple the price for the kit so there are many who love his fabric and the quality.

Good for you! It's called arbitrage & there's nothing wrong with it. Buy low & sell high. Business 101.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

It is why I own very little of it. Also it tends to be very pricey. Pitty as I love the design and colors.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 AM

I ordered a Kaffe Fassett backing fabric online and was disappointed that it was thin (especially for the price), but then realized that I had not read the description closely. It is sateen. It glided smoothly through the machine, which is a plus for backing, but I would have preferred a heavier cotton. I used it on the back of a quilt I made for my daughter's guest room. The colors were perfect for that quilt, and it will rarely need washing. So I don't know how it will hold up. I'm not usually into such wild colors and prints so don't have a lot of experience with his fabrics. Just mentioning this so that others will read the description more carefully than I did.

Now today I have tried to look up the same backing fabric and find that some sellers do not mention that it is sateen. It may have changed or there may be different versions of the fabric with that same print. I don't think his quilt fabrics are sateen, other than these wide backs.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
Are you buying quilt store quality fabrics or are you buying Joann fabrics? There is a difference.

As to Onebyone—you paid for the kits, you can do whatever you want with them.....give them away or raise the price you paid. Why should anyone else care that you do that??? You should not have to justify why you do this!!!
Amen! My sentiments exactly. Too many people try to make "rules" for others.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have used quite a bit of his fabric (bought a couple of fat quarter bundles and half yard assortments) and did not think it was any different than most of everything else I've got.

However - I thought that the company that was making his fabric went out of business a year ago, and then another started up and what I bought a few years ago may be very different than what is being sold right now.
The company, Free Spirit, that included Kaffe Fassett, Tula Pink and others, was going bankrupt so sold to Jaftex Fabrics (Blank Quilting, Timeless Treasures, Studio E and others). You can follow the information and new fabric lines on Scott Fortunoff's FB site (VP of Jaftex--which is a family business)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:12 AM

I got a pm saying it was wrong for me to buy then resell at higher price. LOL First off that's the way business is done. Second all my profits minus the original cost goes to St. Judes or Shriners. That is how I give much more to my favorite charities then I would be able to if I didn't buy and sell high and I do get the tax deduction. Wouldn't hurt if a lot more people did this.
Then it's Charity. Sell it.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:40 AM

I got a pm saying it was wrong for me to buy then resell at higher price. LOL First off that's the way business is done. Second all my profits minus the original cost goes to St. Judes or Shriners. That is how I give much more to my favorite charities then I would be able to if I didn't buy and sell high and I do get the tax deduction. Wouldn't hurt if a lot more people did this.
I see people selling fabric on eBay that I Know came off the $1/$2/$3 table at Walmart (because I have a piece I wanted some more of I got from Walmart in the 90's) in 1997 for $12 a yard. That I do find a bit ridiculous. I am not going to pay some of the "cloth of gold" prices I see on eBay and Etsy, but there is definitely a market for really popular desingers' OOP patterns. I want all the Ghastlies line, but I am not paying $25 for a fat eighth, for example.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-29-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 PM

As I understand, Kaffe Fassett fabrics are "lawn." It has a higher thread count, but thinner threads. Moda has been experimenting with lawn fabrics, and people seem to like them. They're softer, and lovely to do needle-turn applique with, because of the higher thread count.