Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt >

Accuquilt

Accuquilt

Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Accuquilt

What are the most used quilting dies that someone new to Accuquilt should start to collect? My husband bought me an Accuquilt, but I haven’t been able to use it yet and finally got it unpacked after our move and thought I’d try to use it.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I use the 2.5 strips, 2.5 squares, and 2.5 triangles the most.
I bought a couple of sets - drunkard's path and hunter's star only because I think it may be easier to make them, especially the drunkard's path.
I had no clue what to buy at first but maybe start with some basics and then go from there.
I don't know anything about the cube sets but others will be able to tell you about them.
Many on this forum have this system so you'll probably get a lot of info
I hope this helps!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 PM

Depends if you have the Go, the Go Baby or the Studio. Not all dies fit all machines. I have a Baby and have the basic geometric shapes and a couple of "fancy" dies that I got used at a quilt show.

Figure out what type of quilts you make and go from there. Accuquilt has a terrific website and there is a chart of all the dies they make, which size mats to use with the dies and which machines they fit.

You can get some good deals on eBay on dies, but there are some listed that are way, way, way above accquilt's suggested price.

I love my Go Baby. Hope you enjoy your Go.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I wait until I have a quilt pattern I want to use and then buy the die or dies that will work with the pattern. I guess I use the 2 1/2 strip die the most, then the 5" charm square die. I really like the wedge and tumbler die. And the large rag die is a time saver. I have about 100 of the dies but I have been buying them since the GO was first offered for sell. For Christmas, birthday, etc. my family knew to give me dies. I had a list of the dies I wanted and they would pick one or two. I was always surprised at what dies they chose. Last new one, I got the Cleopatra die from my Grandsons. The only one on my list. LOL
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 PM

I bought the 12 inch qube with mine. The dies in there can be used to make a bunch of different blocks. I also bought the 6 inch qube because they are supposed to be compatible but I haven’t tried to use them at the same time yet. I also got the sunbonnet sue die because I love sunbonnet sue.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:09 PM

I think it depends what kind of quilts you want to make. I bought my Accuquilt primarily because I wanted to try some quilts that use curved piecing, that I didn't want to have to cut by hand. If that's your goal, then look at apple cores, Drunkards path, Winding Ways, etc. If you like the look of half square triangles, then buy the HST dies. If you use strip sets, then get dies for strips of your favourite widths.

If you buy dies based on thevquilts you want to make, you can't go wrong . Good luck!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:01 AM

Way back when I got my Go Cutter, I wanted it mainly for shapes that are so hard to cut by hand, stars, hearts, circles, birds, flower shapes, etc. I can still cut strips using the Stripology ruler by Creative Grids, squares, etc. So haven't bought any of those.....yet lol. I have bought dies for specific patterns, Feather tree, apple core, orange peel. For me the dies are too expensive to buy "just because", so I buy as I have a need for them. I am pretty sure that Accuquilt has some rules about sales and you hardly ever see the dies on sale anymore. Unless Accuquilt runs the sale on their website.
So as so many others have said, buy the ones based on the quilts you want to make. The Accuquilt system is really outstanding and has made a difference for a lot of quilters.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I've gotten some on Ebay that were cheaper with free ship and brand new.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 AM

I mainly use the rag quilt die, I would not make one without it. My daughter uses the 61/2 block, she mostly makes block quilts. i have a few that I use for applique as well. I do have some of the strip cutters as well. Plus mine came with a die that had several shapes on it.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I've gotten some on Ebay that were cheaper with free ship and brand new.
I agree, I got some really great deals on eBay