Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need glue recommendation >

need glue recommendation

need glue recommendation

Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Default need glue recommendation

I made a quilted backpack for my DGD and it is great on the outside. The inside, however, looks unfinished--I really didn't see how to put on the binding tape that the pattern recommended because I had top-stitched, and that made it impossible to use binding tape on parts of it. I think I need to glue binding tape on top of the unfinished seams. Could someone recommend a glue for that, or some other way of covering those seams.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails seams.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure any glue would hold if the back pack is going to be used to any account.

I can see your 2nd row of topstitching ... what about doing a 3rd to help hold in place?
For the vertical seam, could you get it into your machine and do an extra row in the seamline?

To protect seams like that, I often use a coverlock type stitch on my machine. I call if faux serging!
It helps to tidy up raw edges and keep them from fraying.

But in the bigger scheme of things, will your DGD or anyone else be inspecting the inners?

Good Luck!!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM

I've used that cover stitch for that type of seam fix. It works great. I've also done a hand overcast on the seam edges in hard to get places. Not as neat but it works.

You could also use something like Fray Check on it.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 AM

You can do a zig zag stitch over it and it'll give it a more finished look. Almost like serging would do
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 AM

You can take out those few stitches at the cross seams. What width did you cut the binding? If it is too wide, simply trim it down. Then bind the first seam. Next, bind the cross seam. I would trim off a little on the end of first seam to take out bulk. Cut out the batting bulk if you can also.

Don't forget to restitch those few stitches again at the cross seams as needed.

Glue with a permanent fabric glue and use clips to hold in place until dry.

One of our LQS teachers mentioned that sometimes the binding on these bags works best cut at 2.5 inches and sometimes at 2.25 inches. For the class I am taking, I will cut both sizes for the binding.

Next option, as mentioned is to use a serger on the seams. Take out those few stitches at the cross seams.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
You can take out those few stitches at the cross seams. What width did you cut the binding? If it is too wide, simply trim it down. Then bind the first seam. Next, bind the cross seam. I would trim off a little on the end of first seam to take out bulk. Cut out the batting bulk if you can also.

Don't forget to restitch those few stitches again at the cross seams as needed.

Glue with a permanent fabric glue and use clips to hold in place until dry.

One of our LQS teachers mentioned that sometimes the binding on these bags works best cut at 2.5 inches and sometimes at 2.25 inches. For the class I am taking, I will cut both sizes for the binding.

Next option, as mentioned is to use a serger on the seams. Take out those few stitches at the cross seams.

Good luck!
Can you recommend a good fabric glue? Maybe, like you said, the best idea is a combination of different things on different seams.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
You can do a zig zag stitch over it and it'll give it a more finished look. Almost like serging would do
If I don't make a liner, which I Will do even when the pattern doesn't call for it, I do a zig zag on edge.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Carol,

I have used this one for quilting projects such as binding to make a good miter. My bottle says " Premium all purpose adhesive" on the front.

https://www.aleenes.com/aleenes-original-tacky-glue

Check the labels for the features you need. You will want one that dries clear and is permanent so the bag can be washed.

This one shows how to attach the binding trims. Lots of good info in the tutorials.

https://www.byannie.com/make_simple_project_videos/

Hope that helps!

PS: Do you mind sharing the name of the bag pattern? I have started looking at different ones.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 04-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Carol,

I have used this one for quilting projects such as binding to make a good miter. My bottle says " Premium all purpose adhesive" on the front.

https://www.aleenes.com/aleenes-original-tacky-glue

Check the labels for the features you need. You will want one that dries clear and is permanent so the bag can be washed.

This one shows how to attach the binding trims. Lots of good info in the tutorials.

https://www.byannie.com/make_simple_project_videos/

Hope that helps!

PS: Do you mind sharing the name of the bag pattern? I have started looking at different ones.
Thanks for the info. The aleenes glue states that it's for non-washable fabrics. Have you used it on quilts and washed them?
The backpack is this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/5235107...zes-pdf-sewing
There is also a video on youtube made by someone else, but showing her making this pattern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whgkK3u6IPo&t=793s
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM

If you like backpacks, this makes a really nice backpack that has completely finished seams on the inside....

https://www.cloudsplitterbags.com/st...attern%29.html